Connect with us

Breaking News

Uber ordered to pay $1.1 million for repeated discrimination against blind woman

Published

on

Uber ordered to pay $1.1 million for repeated discrimination against blind woman

Uber must pay $1.1 million dollars to a blind San Francisco woman who was repeatedly refused rides by drivers who didn’t want her seeing eye dog, Bernie, in their car.

In the Thursday ruling, mediators found that Uber drivers must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, or else the company is liable.

That’s the case even though most drivers operate as independent contractors, the ruling said.

Arbitrators awarded Lisa Irving between $4,000 and $75,000 in damages for each incident of discrimination, depending on the severity of the bias, for a direct payment of $324,000. She was also awarded more than $800,000 for legal costs.

In one of the most severe incidents, a driver stole Irving’s phone and filed a false police report against her, according to the ruling.

In another, a driver tried to kick her “out of his car at least fifteen times, at one point pulling over to demand she get out in a dangerous area, making her feel helpless by his
intimidation and threats,” the legal document said.

Irving also lost her job after twice being denied rides and missing work, arbitrators said.

“I felt demeaned, humiliated, devalued, embarrassed, angered, frustrated and violated,” she said in a video statement.

Irving’s lawyers filed a petition to confirm the reward in San Francisco Superior Court on Thursday, a release stated.

They said they believed the award was the largest given to a blind passenger for ADA violations.

An Uber spokesperson told CNN Business they disagreed with the award.

“We are proud Uber’s technology has helped people who are blind obtain rides and regret Ms. Irving’s experience,” the spokesperson said.

“Drivers using the Uber app are expected to serve riders with service animals and comply with accessibility and other laws, and we regularly provide education to drivers on that responsibility. Our dedicated team looks into each complaint and takes appropriate action,” the spokesperson said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Tennessee man arrested for intentionally running over Old Hickory goose

Published

on

Nathan Haskins, 40, was hit with felony aggravated animal cruelty raps in the March 20, 2021 death of beloved Barnyard in Old Hickory.

A Tennessee man was arrested Wednesday on charges he deliberately ran over and killed a goose that had been a fixture at a local sports bar for over a decade.

Nathan Haskins, 40, was hit with felony aggravated animal cruelty raps in the March 20 death of beloved Barnyard in Old Hickory, a Nashville neighborhood, police said.

The feathered creature was described as “friendly,” and had been a mainstay at Sam’s Blue Turtle Bay Marina, a bar and grill, for close to 15 years, according to local reports.

Cops said Haskins was identified as the driver of a black Chrysler 300 sedan seen on surveillance video stopping in front of the bird in the Old Hickory marina, WKRN-TV reported.

The driver then accelerates and deliberately rams into Barnyard before speeding away.

An anonymous tipster told investigators that Haskins, while at a local bar, had allegedly confessed to the fowl murder.

Cops said Haskins was identified as the driver of a black Chrysler 300 sedan seen on surveillance video stopping in front of the bird in the Old Hickory marina.
Sam’s Blue Turtle Bay Marina in Old Hickory, where Barnyard had been a fixture for 15 years.
Facebook

He later confirmed to Metro Animal Care & Control and cops that he was the driver, the department said.

Barnyard’s killing sparked an uproar in the community, and several residents banded together last month to offer a $1,000 reward for information leading to the bird’s killer.

Haskins was being held at the Davidson County Jail on $3,000 bond.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Mom charged with killing teen son, burying him under clothes in bedroom

Published

on

Mom charged with killing teen son, burying him under clothes in bedroom

An Ohio woman is charged with murder and assault, after she allegedly killed her teenage son and hid his body in his bedroom for two months.

The body of Dominic Allen, 19, was found in the Cincinnati home of his mother Kenya Stallworth, 39, and her husband, Robert Robb, 35, in early December — after he was reported missing in September.

Police said the couple tried to conceal the body by placing clothes over it and sealing off the door.

Stallworth was indicted on murder charges Tuesday, after DNA testing verified the decomposed remains belonged to her son, according to local station FOX 19 NOW.

Stallworth and her husband — who is not the victim’s father — have been in custody since December on charges of felony abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

Marcus Allen, Dominic’s father, told the local station there were signs that his son had been tortured.

“The first thing that came to my mind was, ‘What was going through your head when you all did whatever you all did?,’” Allen reportedly said.

“You all didn’t just take away my child. You took away the gift that God gave me,” the devastated father continued, according to the station. “You took away my daughter’s best friend. You took away the nephew of all of my sisters and brothers. You all took him away from all of the people who loved him… and for what?

“He loved helping everybody. He was a wonderful child. He was a happy child. (…) I am proud to be his father.”

With AP wires

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Dems planning to unveil bill to add justices to SCOTUS: report

Published

on

Dems planning to unveil bill to add justices to SCOTUS: report

Democrats are preparing to unveil legislation that would add four seats to the US Supreme Court.

The bill, first reported by The Intercept, is expected to be introduced in both the House and Senate on Thursday.

It would up the number of seats on the high court to 13 from the current nine.

Massachusetts Sen. Ed Markey, a co-sponsor of the bill, told The Wall Street Journal that adding justices “will shore up the public’s confidence in the court and its legitimacy in the public’s eyes.”

Also backing the measure are House Judiciary Committee Chair Jerry Nadler (NY-10th District) Subcommittee Chair Hank Johnson (GA-4th District), and freshman New York Rep. Mondaire Jones.

The sponsors will announce the proposal at a press conference Thursday morning on the steps of the court, where they will be joined by activists from liberal groups including Take Back The Court, which has advocated for increasing the number of justices.

“Our democracy is under assault, and the Supreme Court has dealt the sharpest blows. To restore power to the people, we must #ExpandTheCourt,” Jones wrote on Twitter.

Conservatives currently hold the majority on the bench after former President Donald Trump’s appointment of Justice Amy Coney Barrett to replace the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a liberal icon.

It is believed Barrett — Trump’s third nomination to the court —  will cement the conservative tilt for decades, prompting calls from Democrats to increase the number of justices, who have lifetime appointments.

President Biden on Friday signed an executive order creating a commission that would study the “pros and cons” of expanding the court.

But Markey said that, “We need more than a commission to restore integrity to the court.”

Republicans and legal purists decry the idea as “court-packing” and say it will undo the court’s historical insulation from politics.

Biden previously opposed adding seats.

Congress altered the number of justices on the court several times over the 19th Century from a low of five to a high of 10. The number was fixed at nine shortly after the Civil War.

In the 1930s, President Franklin D. Roosevelt unsuccessfully sought to expand the court after conservative justices ruled against some of his New Deal policies.

Continue Reading

Trending