Connect with us

Breaking News

U of California to nix SAT, ACT in settlement with minority students

Published

on

U of California to nix SAT, ACT in settlement with minority students

The University of California agreed to no longer consider SAT or ACT scores when making admissions and scholarship decisions under a settlement finalized Friday in a 2019 lawsuit filed on behalf of low income students of color and students with disabilities. 

The 10-campus system, which has more than 280,000 students statewide, decided not to continue fighting a judge’s injunction issued last fall that barred it from considering the scores for admission even when submitted voluntarily, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. Students may still elect to submit SAT or ACT scores to satisfy the entry level writing requirement or for placement in courses. 

The lawsuit argued that low income students of color were at disadvantage because standardized test questions often contain inherent bias that more privileged children are better equipped to answer and wealthier students often take expensive prep course to boost scores that others cannot afford. It also argues the students with disabilities could not easier travel to exams and class sites.  

The settlement, reached earlier this month, “ensures that the university will not revert to its planned use of the SAT and ACT — which its own regents have admitted are racist metrics,” Amanda Savage, an attorney representing the students, said in a statement obtained by the Chronicle. 

The UC Board of Regents voted last year to drop the SAT and ACT tests as admission requirements through 2024 and eliminate them for California residents after that. Incoming students this fall didn’t submit SAT or ACT scores. However, regents had said applicants for fall 2021 and 2022 could submit the scores voluntarily. The new settlement will “provide certainty for students and their families, counselors, and high schools,” the school said.

College Board, which produced the SAT, rejected the notion that their standardized tests were inherently racist – though it did recognize inequities in the education system. 

“Real inequities exist in American education, and they are reflected in every measure of academic achievement, including the SAT,” College Board’s executive director for communications, Zach Goldberg, said in a statement obtained by the New York Times. “The SAT itself is not a racist instrument. Every question is rigorously reviewed for evidence of bias and any question that could favor one group over another is discarded.”

Under the agreement, SAT and ACT scores won’t be considered for admission for students applying for entry between fall 2021 and spring 2025. However, the scores that are submitted voluntarily can be used for course placement after a student is admitted.

FairTest, a Massachusetts-based nonprofit group that is generally opposed to standardized testing, announced last month that more than 1,400 accredited colleges and universities that grant bachelor’s degrees won’t require students applying for fall 2022 admission to submit test scores. That is more than 60% of the undergraduate institutions in the United States, the group said.

The University of California announced on Jan. 28 that the system received the highest number of undergraduate applications in its history for the fall 2021 admission, which included surges among African American and Chicano/Latino students. California Community College transfer applications also grew by an impressive margin, the university system said. 

Campuses saw significant growth of freshman applications from African American students, with an increase of 1,505 applications or 21.8 percent, as well as Chicano/Latino students, with a jump of 5,250 or 12.2 percent, the university system said. 

“The makeup of this year’s applicants already show that students are no longer deterred from applying based on their inability to access standardized testing,” Marci Lerner Miller, another attorney representing the students, said in a statement about the settlement. “We’re confident that this settlement will lead to students demonstrating their abilities, rather than their disabilities, in the application process.” 

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Florida woman accused of slugging girlfriend after she slept-talk about her ex

Published

on

Florida woman accused of slugging girlfriend after she slept-talk about her ex

A Florida woman was arrested for allegedly slugging her girlfriend in the face after hearing her sleep-talk about an ex, a report said.

Alexis Talley, 23, woke up her 21-year-old girlfriend after the sleep-talking episode and told her that “she was talking in her sleep about an ex,” according to an arrest report obtained by The Smoking Gun.

The two started arguing inside their Tampa Bay-area apartment late on June 13 and the feud escalated when Talley allegedly socked the victim in the face.

The victim suffered swelling to the right side of her face, police said.

Talley admitted to verbally fighting with her girlfriend, but denied hitting her, according to cops.

Police arrested Talley and charged her with domestic battery.

She posted a $2,500 bond and was ordered by a judge to stay away from the victim.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Iran shuts down nuclear power plant for emergency repairs

Published

on

A worker rides a bicycle in front of the reactor building of the Bushehr nuclear power plant, just outside the southern city of Bushehr. Iran’s sole nuclear power plant has undergone a temporary emergency shutdown, state TV reported on Sunday, June 20.

Iran’s lone nuclear power plant was temporarily shut down over an unexplained emergency, according to the authoritarian nation’s state-run media.

An official from government energy company Tavanir said Sunday the Bushehr plant shutdown began on Saturday for repair work that would last “for three to four days,” possibly causing power outages.

It’s the first time Iran has reported an emergency shutdown of the plant, which was built with Russian backing as part of a nonproliferation agreement.

Nuclear officials warned three months ago that US imposed sanctions on Russia, Iran’s nuclear partner, could bring production at the plant to a halt.

Iran has been unable to procure parts and equipment for the plant since the sanctions took hold in 2018.

Bushehr is fueled by Russia-produced uranium. It’s monitored by the United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency, which did not comment on reports of the shutdown.

The plant sits near active fault lines and has been previously shaken by temblors, but there has been no significant seismic activity near the port city in recent days.

With AP wires

Continue Reading

Breaking News

US borders with Mexico and Canada to remain closed for another month

Published

on

US borders with Mexico and Canada to remain closed for another month

The US borders with Mexico and Canada will remain closed to all non-essential travel for at least another month to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

The extension of the restrictions, which have been in place since March 2020, was announced by the Department of Homeland Security on Twitter. 

“To reduce the spread of #COVID19, the United States is extending restrictions on non-essential travel at our land and ferry crossings with Canada and Mexico through July 21, while ensuring access for essential trade & travel,” DHS wrote.

The agency added that US officials have been discussing reopening strategies with representatives from both bordering countries. 

“DHS also notes positive developments in recent weeks and is participating with other U.S. agencies in the White House’s expert working groups with Canada and Mexico to identify the conditions under which restrictions may be eased safely and sustainably,” the agency tweeted. 

Last week, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the border would stay largely closed until 75 percent of Canadians receive the first of a two-dose coronavirus vaccine and 20 percent get both shots.

With Post wires

Continue Reading

Trending