Connect with us

Breaking News

Texas cops drop charges against black man walking home

Published

on

Texas cops drop charges against black man walking home

A black man in Texas was arrested for walking in the middle of a street during a snowstorm – but the misdemeanor charge has since been dropped, police said.

Video of the encounter last Tuesday shows Rodney Reese, 18, walking home from his job at Walmart in the middle of a snow-covered street when Plano cops approached him for a wellness check.

“Dude, stop, we’re trying to help you,” one officer said before hopping out of a police cruiser. Another cop then asked Reese, who is wearing a T-shirt, jeans and no coat, if he needed a ride somewhere, the clip shows.

“Nah, I’m straight,” Reese flatly replied.

The officers said they were “just trying to make sure” Reese was OK, but he ignored their commands to stop and talk to them while continuing to head home.

“Can you calm down?” one female officer told Reese. “We just want to talk to you … You’re walking in the middle of the road.”

Reese repeatedly said he was headed home and denied the officers’ request for a ride, as well as to identify himself. One cop said they were “doing an investigation” on a report of a man stumbling while walking in a neighborhood without proper clothing, the video shows.

Police said in a statement the cops had responded to the scene after someone reported Reese as possibly being impaired or in the midst of a mental health crisis. The officers continued to follow him before putting him in handcuffs, the clip shows.

“Stop resisting!” one officer said.

“Let me go, let me go!” Reese replies on the footage. “What the f–k is wrong with you?”

Police noted that Reese — who was arrested on a misdemeanor count of being a pedestrian in the roadway – was not charged with resisting arrest in the incident.

Plano’s police chief, meanwhile, said the misdemeanor charge was also dropped against Reese because the officers’ response didn’t correlate with the incident.

“They should’ve taken him home, is where he should’ve gone,” Chief Ed Drain told KDFW.

Department brass will determine whether an investigation into the incident is needed, KDFW reported.

Reese, for his part, said he ignored the officers’ offer for help because he was just blocks away from where he lives with his mother.

“They just treated me like I was a criminal or something,” Reese, who spent a night in jail, told the station. “Just a simple encounter. A simple encounter. That’s why I tried to dodge it, so I could make it home.”

Reese insists his race was the sole reason cops stopped him that night.

“Just ‘cause I’m black, that’s it,” Reese told KDFW. “It’s ‘cause I’m black, I fit a description. It hurts, man.”

Drain denied those allegations but said, “I can’t get inside people’s hearts, I can’t get inside people’s heads.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

FDA panel OKs Johnson & Johnson single-dose COVID-19 vaccine

Published

on

By

FDA panel OKs Johnson & Johnson single-dose COVID-19 vaccine

A panel of expert advisers to the US Food and Drug Administration on Friday recommended that the agency approve the use of Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose COVID-19 vaccine — clearing a path for the shot to be rolled out across the country.

The FDA is likely to authorize the vaccine within the coming days. Once approved, the shot would be the third COVID-19 vaccine available in the US, after the two-dose vaccines made by Pfizer and Moderna.

The FDA panelists voted unanimously that the benefits of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine outweighed any risks.

Johnson & Johnson has pledged to deliver 20 million doses by the end of March and 100 million by late June, which would give a much-needed boost to the country’s vaccine supply.

The Biden administration said earlier this week that it anticipates shipping out 3 to 4 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine next week if the FDA green-lights it for emergency use.

With Post wires

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Feds bust NY Capitol rioter who photographed congressional documents

Published

on

By

Christopher Moynihan has been arrested and charged after he broke into the Senate chamber and took photos of official congressional notes and documents during the Jan. 6, 2021 Capitol riot.

A Capitol rioter from New York who broke into the Senate chamber and took photos of official congressional notes and documents during last month’s siege has been arrested and charged, according to federal authorities.

The suspect, Christopher Moynihan of Salt Point, was busted Thursday afternoon after two people he previously worked with told investigators they saw him in video footage of the riot, according to New York prosecutors.

In the footage, Moynihan is seen in the Senate chamber taking photos of official congressional documents that are “believed to detail the objections and votes of certain congressional members on the certification of electoral results,” an FBI agent wrote in a affidavit in support of federal charges against the suspect.

“There’s got to be something we can use against these f–king scumbags,” Moynihan is heard saying on the video as he rifles through the documents, prosecutors said.

Moynihan’s former co-workers gave the feds his cellphone number, and investigators linked it to a cell site near the Capitol on Jan. 6, according to court documents.

The suspect was hit with a number of charges by prosecutors in White Plains federal court, including disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.

Five people died in the riot — including Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick — as a frenzied mob of Donald Trump supporters stormed the building that day in an attempt to overturn the 2020 presidential election results.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Man tried to bury wife alive at California beach, cops say

Published

on

By

Man tried to bury wife alive at California beach, cops say

A man attempted to bury his wife alive during a horrifying attack at a California beach Thursday night, cops said. 

The woman called 911 just before 9 p.m., reporting that her husband had just tried to kill her on Coronado Beach, local police said. 

The couple visited the beach earlier in the evening and got into an argument that escalated when the suspect, later identified as Jose Luis Mares III, 23, of Moreno Valley, started attacking his wife, cops said. 

He tried to throw her into the surf, and then brought her near a lifeguard tower, where he tried burying her in the sand, according to cops and local outlet KSWB-TV.

“She said there was a hole in the ground and the hole had previously been there from probably kids digging it during the day,” Detective Ryan Brennan of  the Coronado Police Department told the station. “But during the struggle, she said he threw her in that hole when he began putting sand on top of her.”

He kicked her repeatedly, and then stopped and ran away, Brennan told the outlet. 

“We don’t know what scared him away,” the police official said. “Perhaps it was someone walking by.”

The woman escaped and ran toward Ocean Boulevard, where a passerby found her on the sidewalk. Paramedics brought her to a trauma center in San Diego. 

Cops found Mares a short time later hiding in the backyard of a nearby home, authorities said. 

He was charged with attempted murder, assault causing great bodily injury, domestic violence, false imprisonment and a parole violation, police said. 

Mares was a parolee previously convicted for carjacking and burglary, the local station reported, citing the California Department of Corrections.

Continue Reading

Trending