Connect with us

Breaking News

Sen. Cruz delivers water in Texas after Cancun vacation flap

Published

on

Sen. Cruz delivers water in Texas after Cancun vacation flap

Sen. Ted Cruz released photos of himself on Twitter delivering water and meeting with Texans amid the growing controversy over the Republican lawmaker’s jetting off to tropical Cancun last week as his constituents in the Lone Star State were battling a deep-freeze, widespread power outages and burst pipes that flooded homes.

The pictures, posted on his Twitter account Saturday, showed the embattled senator carrying a case of water to several vehicles and shaking hands with a person.

He wrote “Texas Strong” in the tweet.

Cruz, whose family returned from Cancun on Saturday, also linked to a FEMA statement, noting that the White House approved a major disaster declaration in 77 Texas counties and adding information where people can apply for federal assistance.

He also linked to a tweet from the City of Austin that it received 10,878 cases of water to distribute.

But critics scoffed at Cruz’s tweets showing him engaged with relief efforts in Texas.

“​I’m glad someone in Ted Cruz’s Senate office finally instructed him on how to fake compassion, humanity, and creating the illusion that he cares about the people he was elected to serve​,” posted Melissa Ryan.​

Another social media user posted photos of Cruz on the passenger jet as he settled in for the flight to Cancun for a “‘fun-in-the-sun’ vacation while his constituents in Texas literally freeze to death in their homes.”

“Too late Ted,” wrote​ ​@Newfie423​.

Others pointed out that Beto O’Rourke, who narrowly lost to Cruz in 2018, and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez pitched in to raise millions of dollars and help Texans even as the fallout enveloped Cruz for his Mexican getaway.

Cruz flew back to Houston Thursday, a day after he and his family were photographed boarding a jet for Cancun and text messages from his wife, Heidi, revealed they told friends they were abandoning the “FREEZING” weather and heading to the Ritz-Carlton resort in Cancun.

At first Cruz said he was just escorting his daughters and their pals on the flight and planned to return immediately.

He later finally admitted that he planned to stay there with his family until Saturday.​

An estimated 70 people died across the US because of winter weather, with the bulk of those deaths occurring in Texas.​

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Florida woman allegedly crashed children’s party, raped teen

Published

on

Florida woman allegedly crashed children's party, raped teen

A Florida woman crashed a children’s birthday party and allegedly raped a 17-year-old boy — in front of another child, authorities said.

Jessica Rae Good, 43, was arrested Wednesday after the teen told a staffer at his high school that he was sexually assaulted over the weekend at a home in Port Charlotte after a birthday bash, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.

Good had been out drinking with a friend before crashing the celebration for another teen on May 9 when her buddy went to bed, authorities said.

“After returning home intoxicated, Good continued to ‘hang out’ with the juveniles while allegedly making extremely inappropriate sexual comments and providing the 17-year-old victim with alcohol,” sheriff officials said in a statement.

A 12-year-old girl at the party told deputies she was asleep on a bean bag in the home when she was awoken by sounds of two people having sex.

The girl, who was just a foot away from Good and the 17-year-old, said the teen whispered to her to help him, according to an arrest report obtained by the Port Charlotte Sun.

The boy later told deputies that Good forced herself on him after he fell asleep, claiming he was unable to push the woman off him due to her size, the arrest report states. Good is listed at 250 pounds in jail records.

At one point, the boy got up to use the bathroom, where he vomited, the 12-year-old girl told deputies. The pair continued having sex and Good then got her belongings and left the home, according to the report.

Good told investigators she had “blacked out” and claimed to not remember most of the illicit sexual contact, the arrest report states.

It’s illegal in Florida for an adult to have sex with a minor, even if the activity is consensual — although some exceptions exist, sheriff officials said.

Good, of Punta Gorda, was charged with two counts of child abuse and two counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor. She was released from the Charlotte County Jail Monday after posting $150,000 bond, jail records show. It’s unclear if she’s hired an attorney who could speak on her behalf.

Court records show Good has no criminal history in Charlotte County, the Port Charlotte Sun reported. She’s due to be arraigned on June 21.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Surfer killed in shark attack at Australian beach

Published

on

Surfer killed in shark attack at Australian beach

A surfer in Australia was killed in a shark attack on Tuesday morning, authorities said.

The man, in his 50s, was attacked while surfing at Tuncurry Beach in New South Wales, a police statement said.

He suffered injuries to his upper right thigh, police said.

Other beachgoers pulled the surfer from the water.

“Despite the best efforts of paramedics and bystanders at the scene the man could not be resuscitated,” NSW Ambulance tweeted.

Beaches in the area closed following the fatal attack.

A drone search over the waters spotted two sharks in the area, according to Lower North Coast Surf Life Saving branch president Brian Wilcox.

“It’s pretty unprecedented. I can’t recall ever having a shark attack in this area,” Wilcox told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

Before Tuesday, the last fatal shark attack in Australia was in November when a 55-year-old surfer was killed in Broome.

With Post wires

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Mom charged with murdering kids claims no memory of tragedy

Published

on

Mom charged with murdering kids claims no memory of tragedy

An Arizona mom charged with murdering her two kids claimed at a court appearance Monday that she has no memory of the tragedy.

Authorities had said that 40-year-old Yui Inoue told Tempe cops that she woke up Saturday with blood on her hands and her kids dead nearby – but no memory of their gruesome ends, AZCentral reported.

In Maricopa County Superior Court on Monday, a Japanese interpreter for Inoue translated her saying she hadn’t killed the 7-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter.

“I didn’t kill anybody,” she said, according to the translator.

Before the court appearance, a statement from Tempe police said the bodies of the children had signs of trauma that included “some amputations,” according to AZCentral.

When police arrested Inoue on a first-degree murder charge over the weekend, they said she had driven to the police station and told an officer she was “hearing voices telling her to kill her kids,” Tempe police spokesman Sgt. Steven Carbajal said at the time.

“There was an officer that was heading out of the station just to take care of his normal patrol duties for the day and she seemed pretty frantic and flagged him down,” Carbajal said Saturday at a press conference.

Police had been to Inoue’s apartment on a domestic dispute earlier in the night but didn’t make an arrest.

Both children were in bed when police left, AZCentral said.

In a police statement obtained by the publication, police said Inoue’s husband left the apartment after an argument in which she allegedly threatened to stab him.

Continue Reading

Trending