Connect with us

Breaking News

Reward at $100K in double murder of Columbine high school students

Published

on

Reward at $100K in double murder of Columbine high school students

Authorities in Colorado are offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the cold-case double murder of two teenage Columbine High School students who were fatally shot on Valentine’s Day 21 years ago.

As Crime-Online reports, young couple Nicholas Kunselman, 15, and Stephanie Hart-Grizzell, 16, were gunned down inside a Subway sandwich shop in Littleton, Colorado, on Feb. 14, 2000.

Kunselman worked at the local fast food franchise, and Hart-Grizzel had driven to the restaurant on Coal Mine Avenue to wait for her boyfriend to finish his shift.

Their bodies were discovered after a fellow Subway employee noticed that the store lights were still on just before 1 a.m., long after closing.

Authorities reportedly believe that at least one intruder entered the store and shot Kunselman and Hart-Grizzell. Officials hope the significant reward increase — up from $12,000 — will encourage anyone with information to come forward.

$100,000 reward in double murder of Columbine High School students found dead at Subway restaurant

As reported by CBS4, teenagers’ bodies were discovered behind the counter inside the Subway restaurant. Investigators say both victims were shot by at least one unknown intruder.

On Sunday, the anniversary of the Columbine students’ double murder, officials significantly upped the reward from $12,000 to $100,000 in the hopes that it will encourage anyone with information in the baffling cold case to finally come forward.

Get the latest news and important stories. Download the free Knewz app for iOS and Android.

“With this significantly increased reward, people who haven’t come forward with their information will be much more likely to do so now,” Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Shrader told the news station.

“We are continuing our diligent work to bring justice to Nicholas and Stephanie.”

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office hopes the increased reward will help draw in tips.

Reward Jumps To $100,000 In Murders Of Nick Kunselman, Stephanie Hart-Grizzell

As KMGH-Denver reports, at the time of the double murder, the two teenagers were students at Columbine High School, the very school where less than a year earlier 12 of their classmates and a teacher had been killed in a mass shooting.

The high school sweethearts stuck together through the traumatic time in their lives and were described as a happy young couple by family members.

“Although they had just gone through the tragedy at the high school, they were coming through it so good and they were so happy,” Stephanie’s mother, Kelly Grizzell said in 2017. “We just really felt like that might be the last hard thing that we went through.”

The tragic Subway double murder took place just 10 months after the mass shooting, just a few blocks from the high school. “The last thing I said to her was, ‘Goodnight. I love you,’” Kelly recalled. “I’ll never forget that.”

On the night Stephanie went to the Subway to wait for Nick, another employee was driving past the restaurant after midnight and noticed the lights were still on. The employee went inside, early on the morning of Feb. 14, 2000, and found Stephanie and Nick shot to death behind the counter.

Reward increased to $100,000 in 2000 murders of two young Columbine students

More than two decades later, few credible leads surfaced in the Columbine students’ double murder, despite investigators initially releasing a description of the suspect — a white male, 16 to 20 years old, about 5-foot-7 and 150-170 pounds with blondish hair.

The release of those details resulted in tips from across the country and several confessions after the murders gained nationwide coverage, which all turned out to be false, KUSA Denver reports.

“It’s just hard because they were so young and we just don’t understand,” close friend of the couple Amanda Williams said in 2017. “Going through Columbine and then having to kind of relive all these bad things…we had to do it all over.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Metro Denver Crime Stoppers (720) 913-7867 or submit a tip online. Tipsters can remain anonymous.

“We are hopeful that the increase will result in tips that will lead investigators to the person or persons responsible for this crime and hopefully start the closure process for the family and friends of Nicholas and Stephanie, as well as the community,” said Michael Mills, board president of Metro Denver Crime Stoppers, in the release.

Reward increased to $100,000 in Valentine’s Day 2000 homicide of high school sweethearts

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

FL man arrested for murder after wife found buried in backyard

Published

on

By

FL man arrested for murder after wife found buried in backyard

A Florida man was busted after his newlywed wife’s remains were found buried in their backyard, authorities said.

Roberto Colon, 66, of Boynton Beach was arrested Saturday on a charge of first-degree murder in the slaying of 45-year-old Mary Stella Gomez-Mullet, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

The couple tied the knot in January just weeks after meeting each other, news station CBS12 reported.

Colon allegedly told authorities that he wed Gomez-Mullet to give her US citizenship in exchange of taking care of his mother, the outlet reported.

Gomez-Mullet was reported missing on Feb. 20 after a friend overheard a concerning encounter between her and Colon over the phone, police said.

The pal told authorities that Gomez-Mullet was yelling, “No, no, no, Roberto!” before the call ended.

She tried calling Gomez-Mullet back, but the phone went straight to voicemail, the outlet reported.

On Feb. 24, a bloody purse containing items belonging to Gomez-Mullet was found about a mile from Colon’s home, authorities said.

When questioned by authorities about her disappearance, Colon suggested that she disappeared while he was at a doctor’s appointment on Feb. 18.

He also said they had got into an argument in which she accused her of stealing his mother’s money, the outlet reported.

Detectives later searched his home and uncovered blood stains on the front door, in the garage and inside of the workshop, the outlet reported.

He claimed that the blood may have belonged to one of his dogs that died years ago, but lab tests confirmed that the samples belonged to a human, the paper reported.

When confronted with the new evidence, Colon allegedly told detectives that Gomez-Mullet was “swimming with the fishes,” news station WPTV reported.

“Find the body,” Colon yelled to detectives. 

Then as officers left his property, Colon said to them, “Well, at least you didn’t find a body at my house,” WPTV reported.

But during a search of the backyard Friday, authorities found human remains that were identified as Gomez-Mullet.

“Our heartfelt condolences are with Mary’s family and loved ones,” Boynton Beach Police Chief Michael G. Gregory said in a statement. “We remain dedicated to this ongoing investigation and bringing justice to her family.”

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Biden administration releasing families from migrant centers

Published

on

By

Biden administration releasing families from migrant centers

The Biden administration will transform two Texas facilities where detained migrant families are held into Ellis Island-style rapid processing centers, meaning adults and children who cross the border will be housed for a maximum of 72 hours before being released into the U.S.

In a court filing Friday, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) said families will continue to be detained at a 2,400-bed detention center in Karnes City and an 839-bed detention center in Dilley in Texas, but the U.S. government intends to hold adults and children at those sites for three days or less.

Migrant families previously held at a third facility, the 96-bed Berks County family detention center in Leesport, Pa., have all been released, according the ICE disclosure made Friday in the decades-old Flores lawsuit filed on behalf of migrant children. That detention center will instead be used by ICE to hold adults.

All three family detention centers opened when now-President Biden was vice president to President Barack Obama. While running for president, Biden pledged to release detained families.

Meanwhile, the Department of Homeland Security has preliminary plans to transform the two facilities in southern Texas into rapid processing centers aimed at screening 100 families per day, The Washington Post first reported, citing internal emails outlining the previously unpublicized changes.

The number of unaccompanied minors and families arriving at the U.S.-Mexico border this year “are expected to be the highest numbers observed in over 20 years,” Russell Hott, a senior official with ICE, wrote in an email sent to staff members on Thursday.

Even as the two facilities in southern Texas are transformed into rapid-processing centers, that “may not be sufficient to keep pace with apprehensions,” Hott warned in the email reviewed by the Post. And those who cannot be housed at those centers even for 72 hours will be transferred to nearby hotels.

ICE-contractor MVM will transport families unable to be housed at those facilities to hotels, and the company plans to select hotels in McAllen, El Paso and Phoenix, Ariz., Hott wrote.

The detention centers in Dilley and Karnes will served as quick-release intake facilities, where unaccompanied minors and families would undergo background checks and be released before preliminary court hearings, unnamed DHS officials told the Post. Some migrants would enroll in alternatives to detention, such as ankle-monitoring programs.

Anyone who tests positive would quarantine for 10 days, the officials said. Non-profit partners would work to organized airplane and bus tickets to their final destinations in the U.S., often to stay with family members or friends while awaiting their court hearings.

In an op-ed published by Fox News on Friday, Thomas Homan, the former Acting Director of ICE under the Trump administration argued Biden’s team created a crisis at the border in “record time” by ending accomplishments made by the Trump administration within the first 40 days since Inauguration Day.

Homan said illegal crossings at the southern border were at historic lows when Trump left office, an achievement reached in part through agreements with Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. He credited Trump for the Remain in Mexico Program, as well as the border wall to slow illegal entry into the U.S. and the Title 42 designation that would require most illegal aliens to be immediately returned to Mexico because of the COVID pandemic.

Homan said Biden’s rollback of most of Trump’s policies are “facilitating illegal entry” into the U.S. The Biden administration is also under criticism from Republicans for considering changing the names of some facilities at the border to “reception centers” to communicate a message that people will be rapidly released, the Washington Examiner reported.

But lawyers who work with detained immigrant families welcomed the new 72-hour release plans and credited the Biden administration for announcing the shift. They noted that even shorter detention stays could be harmful to children.

“Family detention will never truly be over until the facilities are closed and the contracts with ICE end,” Bridget Cambria, executive director of the legal group Aldea – The People’s Justice Center, told The Associated Press.

The Biden administration has already released several families seeking asylum who had been detained for a year or longer in Texas and in some cases came within hours of deportation. Those families will pursue their cases while remaining subject to ICE monitoring.

In his early days, Biden has confronted increasing numbers of families and unaccompanied children crossing the U.S.-Mexico border, leading to shortages of space in Border Patrol holding cells and long-term facilities for children operated by Health and Human Services. In the case of the Border Patrol, hundreds of children in recent weeks have been detained longer than 72 hours, the general limit set by the agency’s standards.

Biden stopped the practice initiated by former President Donald Trump of expelling unaccompanied immigrant children under public health authority. Officials expelled thousands of children to their countries of origin without giving them a chance to seek asylum or other protections under federal law.

The Biden administration continues to expel immigrant families and adults.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Barasso slams Biden for pushing through $1.9T ‘liberal wish list’

Published

on

By

Barasso slams Biden for pushing through $1.9T 'liberal wish list'

​GOP Sen. John Barrasso on Sunday hit President Biden for ​pushing his $1.9 trillion coronavirus stimulus package through Congress despite pledging to work with Republicans — calling the bill a “liberal wish list”

The relief bill passed the Senate on Saturday and the House last week without one Republican vote.

“Ten Republicans went to the White House and said, ​’​Al​l ​right, let’s work together.​’​ Instead, the White House chief of staff said this is the most progressive, the most progressive piece of domestic legislation in a generation​,” Barrasso (R-Wyo.) said on NBC News’ “Meet the Press,” referring to Ron Klain.

“​This was never about getting people back to work or kids back to school or the disease behind us. That’s where it should have been focused.​”​

Instead of enlisting Republican support for a bipartisan bill, he said the president and Democrats passed “a liberal wish list of liberal spending just basically.”​

Even though the Biden package had strong support from the American public, Barrasso predicted that will soon diminish.​​

“When people find out what’s in this bill, they’re going to lose a lot of any enthusiasm they may have for it right now,” he said.

“Because this was not really about coronavirus in terms of the spending. This was a liberal wish list of liberal spending just basically filled with pork. It didn’t need to be this way​.”

Continue Reading

Trending