Connect with us

Sports

Rangers’ Artemi Panarin limited after ‘lower-body injury’

Published

on

Rangers' Artemi Panarin limited after 'lower-body injury'

Rangers star winger Artemi Panarin sustained a lower-body injury during the second period of Wednesday’s 3-2 overtime loss to the Bruins.

The team’s top scorer was seen hunched over on the bench toward the end of the middle frame and gingerly skating during TV timeouts to try and workout whatever was bothering him. After sitting for a majority of the third, Panarin returned to the ice for the Rangers’ power play at 13:02 after David Krejci was called for tripping Brendan Lemieux.

“He’s got a little bit of a lower-body injury and we’ll assess him after,” head coach David Quinn said following the loss. “We thought that we could get him out there on the power play, it was something we just decided to try, if it wasn’t going to work we were going to pull him off early.”

Panarin finished the night with two shots on goal in 15:34 of ice time. Since signing a seven-year, $81.5 million deal with the Rangers as a free agent in July 2019, the 29-year-old Russian has only missed one game.

Last season, he sat out of a 4-2 loss to the Islanders on Jan. 21, 2020, and subsequently missed the NHL’s All-Star Game in St. Louis with an upper-body injury.

Panarin currently leads the Rangers with 15 points (five goals, 10 assists) through the first 12 games of the season.


Mika Zibanejad said he “felt like my own self” after breaking through with a quality performance in Wednesday’s loss after a slow start to the season.

“Obviously tough loss,” the Swedish center said. “But I felt a lot better and obviously the chances were there but couldn’t really capitalize on [Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask]. Just have to keep going and keep getting a little better every game.”

With the Rangers on the power play after Craig Smith was called for slashing Ryan Strome at 8:05 of the second period, Zibanejad nearly made it a two-goal game on a wide-open net before it was gloved by Rask.

Zibanejad was robbed again by Rask on a shorthanded breakaway later in the second.

“Tonight for sure was the guy that we saw last year in a lot of ways,” Quinn said. “He did a great job defensively, I thought he was on the puck, I thought there were great scoring chances. He wanted, he had a swagger to him tonight and by far the best game he had all year. I think he feels pretty good right now.”


Brendan Lemieux tied a single-game career-high with two assists and was credited with three hits in the loss. It was his second multi-assist game and the seventh multi-point game in his NHL career.


The Rangers’ game Sunday against the Flyers at the Garden has been postponed, the NHL announced Wednesday night, citing COVID-19 protocols. The postponement is the fourth straight for the Flyers, who aren’t scheduled to play again until Feb. 18, also against the Rangers. The league postponed Philadelphia’s games out of “an abundance of caution while the league continues to analyze test results in the coming days.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Mets star Pete Alonso opens up on why he quit social media

Published

on

By

Mets star Pete Alonso opens up on why he quit social media

PORT ST. LUCIE — Pete Alonso wasn’t the only big voice in the Mets organization to deactivate his social media accounts over the offseason.

But the first baseman going dark on Twitter and Instagram had nothing to do with the aftermath of a stock market saga, which was the reason owner Steve Cohen ditched Twitter, and everything to do with a new outlook on life away from a screen.

“I think that real life is just absolutely fantastic and for me, I think life is a blessing, it’s something that I feel like a lot of people, sometimes including myself, take for granted,” Alonso said Friday after a workout. “And I want to spend every second soaking in every single day because every single new day is a blessing, and I feel like especially in wake of what happened last year, there’s a lot of things that I feel like were taken for granted.

“In 2019, if you see everybody wearing this mask, you kind of scratch your head and just be like, ‘Whoa, what’s going on?’ But there’s a lot of new social norms that are in place now that we took for granted. I think for me, I just want to be appreciative of every single day. I want to live in real life.”

Alonso had been one of the more active Mets interacting with fans through social media, especially during his Rookie of the Year season in 2019, when he adopted “#LFGM” as the team’s new rallying cry.

Though he will no longer be in touch with fans online, Alonso is very much looking forward to welcoming them back in person at Citi Field this season. After playing at an empty stadium in 2020 because of COVID-19 restrictions, the Mets are expected to have at least a portion of Citi Field open to fans when the 2021 season begins.

“Playing on TV is absolutely fantastic, but being there in person where one swing of the bat or making a diving play or striking somebody out, you can make that many people in person smile, stand, clap, cheer, yell even just by doing something,” Alonso said, with a big smile breaking out. “Once I heard 40,000 people at Citi Field go absolutely bonkers, that’s an adrenaline rush that I’m addicted to.

“I can’t wait until it’s packed out again like that. If it’s 25 percent, 30 percent, I can’t wait to hear people cheer again in person. For me, it’s addicting, and I love it.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Yankees’ first spring training game will be seven innings

Published

on

By

Yankees' first spring training game will be seven innings

TAMPA — Aaron Boone said the Yankees’ first spring training game will be seven innings, as part of Major League Baseball’s spring training protocols.

Beginning Sunday — when the Yankees host the Blue Jays at Steinbrenner Field — games through March 13 may be shortened to five or seven innings if both teams agree.

With fewer players in camp and available to play, teams might have a hard time getting nine innings out of their pitching staffs early on.

Boone said he expects the Yankees’ first three or four Grapefruit League games to be seven innings and is not concerned about getting players enough work throughout the spring.

“We should be able to, [since] we have the luxury of live BPs,’’ said Boone, adding they could add B games if they need to later in the spring.

From March 14 until the regular season, games can be shortened only to seven innings.

Continue Reading

Sports

Swing tweaks have Luis Guillorme’s Mets value growing

Published

on

By

Swing tweaks have Luis Guillorme's Mets value growing

PORT ST. LUCIE — Luis Guillorme’s value to the Mets in parts of his first two major league seasons was as an infield glove. Last year, he added another dimension.

In a limited sample size (68 plate appearances), Guillorme had a slash line of .333/.426/.439 with nine RBIs and became a left-handed hitting option at third base, starting three games there.

“I made my swing more repeatable — working with Slate and Chili,” Guillorme said Friday, referring to hitting coach Chili Davis and his assistant, Tom Slater. “It made it more simple. I think having a better approach now, being a guy that was used to playing every day when I was in the minors, coming up and having a different role, I think you need a different mindset going up to the plate.

“Your approach might not be the same when you’re playing every day than when you are coming off the bench. I made those adjustments last year and it helped me a lot.”

Guillorme gives the Mets an option at second base, shortstop and third base. Jonathan Villar, who signed as a free agent, fits a similar profile for the Mets. Jeff McNeil figures to shuffle between second and third.

“There’s plenty of guys that can play different positions and we’re all good at it,” Guillorme said. “It makes it fun for you. You are around guys like that who have a lot of talent, just being around them, it’s really good for us.”


Carlos Carrasco was in camp for the first time after missing the first week for an undisclosed reason. Brandon Drury and Wilfredo Tovar are the remaining invitees to major league camp who haven’t participated in workouts.

Continue Reading

Trending