Connect with us

Breaking News

Queen’s cousin jailed for sex attack at his ancestral castle

Published

on

Simon Bowes-Lyon Sentenced After Sexual Assault Charge

A cousin of Queen Elizabeth II was jailed Tuesday for 10 months for sexually assaulting a woman who was a guest at his ancestral castle in Scotland.

Simon Bowes-Lyon, the Earl of Strathmore, had admitted assaulting the 26-year-old woman in February 2020 in a bedroom at Glamis Castle, which was the childhood home of the Queen’s late mother.

His victim still suffers nightmares from the 20-minute attack, in which Bowes-Lyon came into her room uninvited and groped her while trying to pull off her nightdress, Dundee Sheriff Court heard, according to the BBC.

Bowes-Lyon, 34, who is a first cousin twice removed of the queen, pleaded guilty last month, saying he was “greatly ashamed of my actions which have caused such distress to a guest in my home.”

Simon Bowes-Lyon is escorted by police after his sentencing on Feb. 23, 2021.
Simon Bowes-Lyon is escorted by police after his sentencing on Feb. 23, 2021.
Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images
Queen Elizabeth II seen inside Windsor Castle on December 08, 2020.
Bowes-Lyon is a first cousin twice removed of Queen Elizabeth II.
Richard Pohle – WPA Pool/Getty Images

“I did not think I was capable of behaving the way I did but have had to face up to it and take responsibility,” he said.

Bowes-Lyon was also placed on the sex offenders register for 10 years.

He had faced up to five years in prison, but got the lighter term after his attorney, John Scott, reminded the court that the earl had shown “genuine remorse.”

Glamis Castle, near Dundee in central Scotland, is the childhood home of the queen’s late mother, who was born Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, and is where the Queen’s sister, Princess Margaret, was born, the BBC said.

With Post wires

Simon Bowes-Lyon arrives at court on February 23, 2021 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

Simon Bowes-Lyon Sentenced After Sexual Assault Charge

Simon Bowes-Lyon admitted to sexually assaulting 26-year-old woman in February 2020 in a bedroom at Glamis Castle.

Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images


Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Protesters gather in Minneapolis on eve of Derek Chauvin trial

Published

on

By

Protesters gather in Minneapolis on eve of Derek Chauvin trial

Hundreds of protesters took to the streets of Minneapolis on Sunday, as tension builds on the eve of ex-cop Derek Chauvin’s trial in the death of George Floyd.

The marchers displayed a white coffin draped with flowers and called for racial justice and a halt to police brutality, one day before jury selection is to begin in the volatile case.

“We have to remember that a man lost his life, a family lost a brother, a family lost a father, they lost a son, they lost an uncle,” Mohamed Ibrahim, deputy director of CAIR-MN, told the Star Tribune.

The march remained peaceful and included the music of Bob Marley, Prince, and Sam Cooke. It followed a prayer by clergy members with Pray for MN, an interfaith group formed after Floyd’s May 25 death that now has 150 member churches.

“Maybe we should take time to reflect on how frequently it happens,” demonstrator Ilyas Wehelie told the Tribune.

Protesters then gathered outside the Hennepin County Government Center, site of the upcoming trial that is due to begin with jury selection on Monday morning, WCCO said in a report.

Chauvin, 44, is charged with second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in Floyd’s death. Viral video of the incident shows the ex-cop with his knee on Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes while he pleads for air.

The incident sparked worldwide protests condemning police brutality.

Minneapolis officials have beefed up security for the trial, bringing in National Guard troops, and state, county, and city police, and reinforcing the courthouse and police precincts with barricades, security fencing, and barbed wire.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Two women charged after brawl at Arizona Bath & Body Works

Published

on

By

Two women charged after brawl at Arizona Bath & Body Works

They were surrounded by soap — but still fighting dirty.

Two women were charged after a wild caught-on-camera brawl at an Arizona Bath & Body Works on Saturday, a report said.

The feud at the Scottsdale store began when one woman was accused of cutting another in line, before devolving into a brawl when employees intervened, police told the Arizona Republic.

“She was standing too close to the African American lady who had a child with her,” witness Genevieve Denslow told the newspaper.

“Race wasn’t the initial problem but racial slurs were called during the fight,” said Denslow, who recorded part of the fracas.

The footage, which was posted to Twitter by Denslow, begins with a woman and an employee exchanging shoves before another worker joins in and wrestles the customer to the ground.

“Oh my god!” somebody can be heard saying as the trio hit the ground.

Two other workers step in, along with a second woman who appears to coming to the defense of the customer.

“Let go of her!” a woman yells, according to the video.

The second woman then starts wrestling with one of the workers before a male employee breaks them up, yelling, “enough!”

“Out now,” the man tells the two women.

“She attacked me,” the first woman responds.

“You attacked her,” the man responds.

It was not immediately clear which two women were charged in the melee.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

FL man arrested for murder after wife found buried in backyard

Published

on

By

FL man arrested for murder after wife found buried in backyard

A Florida man was busted after his newlywed wife’s remains were found buried in their backyard, authorities said.

Roberto Colon, 66, of Boynton Beach was arrested Saturday on a charge of first-degree murder in the slaying of 45-year-old Mary Stella Gomez-Mullet, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

The couple tied the knot in January just weeks after meeting each other, news station CBS12 reported.

Colon allegedly told authorities that he wed Gomez-Mullet to give her US citizenship in exchange of taking care of his mother, the outlet reported.

Gomez-Mullet was reported missing on Feb. 20 after a friend overheard a concerning encounter between her and Colon over the phone, police said.

The pal told authorities that Gomez-Mullet was yelling, “No, no, no, Roberto!” before the call ended.

She tried calling Gomez-Mullet back, but the phone went straight to voicemail, the outlet reported.

On Feb. 24, a bloody purse containing items belonging to Gomez-Mullet was found about a mile from Colon’s home, authorities said.

When questioned by authorities about her disappearance, Colon suggested that she disappeared while he was at a doctor’s appointment on Feb. 18.

He also said they had got into an argument in which she accused her of stealing his mother’s money, the outlet reported.

Detectives later searched his home and uncovered blood stains on the front door, in the garage and inside of the workshop, the outlet reported.

He claimed that the blood may have belonged to one of his dogs that died years ago, but lab tests confirmed that the samples belonged to a human, the paper reported.

When confronted with the new evidence, Colon allegedly told detectives that Gomez-Mullet was “swimming with the fishes,” news station WPTV reported.

“Find the body,” Colon yelled to detectives. 

Then as officers left his property, Colon said to them, “Well, at least you didn’t find a body at my house,” WPTV reported.

But during a search of the backyard Friday, authorities found human remains that were identified as Gomez-Mullet.

“Our heartfelt condolences are with Mary’s family and loved ones,” Boynton Beach Police Chief Michael G. Gregory said in a statement. “We remain dedicated to this ongoing investigation and bringing justice to her family.”

Continue Reading

Trending