Connect with us

Breaking News

Pelosi calls sexual harassment claims against Cuomo ‘credible’

Published

on

Pelosi calls sexual harassment claims against Cuomo 'credible'

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Sunday said the sexual harassment allegations against New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo are “credible.”

The California representative joined a chorus of Democrats calling for a truly independent probe into the accusations of misconduct lodged against Cuomo by two of his former staffers.

“The women who have come forward with serious and credible charges against Governor Cuomo deserve to be heard and to be treated with dignity,” Pelosi said in a statement.

“The independent investigation must have due process and respect for everyone involved.”

The statement came as Cuomo, 63, agreed to let state Attorney General Letitia James appoint an outside investigator into the growing scandal.

His senior adviser Beth Garvey originally said Saturday night that the administration had tapped former federal Judge Barbara Jones to head up an inquiry.

The move quickly drew bipartisan criticism, however, both because Cuomo was trying to dictate his own investigation, and because Jones previously worked with lawyer and key Cuomo advisor Steve Cohen.

As backlash mounted Sunday morning, James requested that the Cuomo administration let her office appoint an independent investigator, as state law prescribes.

The concession from Cuomo came after several New York lawmakers, including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-Bronx/Queens), had stressed the importance of an unbiased investigation.

“Lindsey Boylan and Charlotte Bennett’s detailed accounts of sexual harassment by Gov. Cuomo are extremely serious and painful to read,” wrote AOC. “There must be an independent investigation — not one led by an individual selected by the Governor, but by the office of the Attorney General.”

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) — who led the charge resulting in former Sen. Al Franken’s resignation over sexual misconduct claims — had also been among those calling for an independent probe.

“These allegations are serious and deeply concerning,” Gillibrand said in a statement. “As requested by Attorney General James, the matter should be referred to her office so that she can conduct a transparent, independent and thorough investigation with subpoena power.”

Gillibrand In 2017, Gillibrand, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate, quickly issued a full-throated condemnation of her colleague Franken as he faced mounting allegations from several women.

“Enough is enough,” she said at the time.

Additional reporting by Mark Moore

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Florida woman accused of slugging girlfriend after she slept-talk about her ex

Published

on

Florida woman accused of slugging girlfriend after she slept-talk about her ex

A Florida woman was arrested for allegedly slugging her girlfriend in the face after hearing her sleep-talk about an ex, a report said.

Alexis Talley, 23, woke up her 21-year-old girlfriend after the sleep-talking episode and told her that “she was talking in her sleep about an ex,” according to an arrest report obtained by The Smoking Gun.

The two started arguing inside their Tampa Bay-area apartment late on June 13 and the feud escalated when Talley allegedly socked the victim in the face.

The victim suffered swelling to the right side of her face, police said.

Talley admitted to verbally fighting with her girlfriend, but denied hitting her, according to cops.

Police arrested Talley and charged her with domestic battery.

She posted a $2,500 bond and was ordered by a judge to stay away from the victim.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Iran shuts down nuclear power plant for emergency repairs

Published

on

A worker rides a bicycle in front of the reactor building of the Bushehr nuclear power plant, just outside the southern city of Bushehr. Iran’s sole nuclear power plant has undergone a temporary emergency shutdown, state TV reported on Sunday, June 20.

Iran’s lone nuclear power plant was temporarily shut down over an unexplained emergency, according to the authoritarian nation’s state-run media.

An official from government energy company Tavanir said Sunday the Bushehr plant shutdown began on Saturday for repair work that would last “for three to four days,” possibly causing power outages.

It’s the first time Iran has reported an emergency shutdown of the plant, which was built with Russian backing as part of a nonproliferation agreement.

Nuclear officials warned three months ago that US imposed sanctions on Russia, Iran’s nuclear partner, could bring production at the plant to a halt.

Iran has been unable to procure parts and equipment for the plant since the sanctions took hold in 2018.

Bushehr is fueled by Russia-produced uranium. It’s monitored by the United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency, which did not comment on reports of the shutdown.

The plant sits near active fault lines and has been previously shaken by temblors, but there has been no significant seismic activity near the port city in recent days.

With AP wires

Continue Reading

Breaking News

US borders with Mexico and Canada to remain closed for another month

Published

on

US borders with Mexico and Canada to remain closed for another month

The US borders with Mexico and Canada will remain closed to all non-essential travel for at least another month to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

The extension of the restrictions, which have been in place since March 2020, was announced by the Department of Homeland Security on Twitter. 

“To reduce the spread of #COVID19, the United States is extending restrictions on non-essential travel at our land and ferry crossings with Canada and Mexico through July 21, while ensuring access for essential trade & travel,” DHS wrote.

The agency added that US officials have been discussing reopening strategies with representatives from both bordering countries. 

“DHS also notes positive developments in recent weeks and is participating with other U.S. agencies in the White House’s expert working groups with Canada and Mexico to identify the conditions under which restrictions may be eased safely and sustainably,” the agency tweeted. 

Last week, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the border would stay largely closed until 75 percent of Canadians receive the first of a two-dose coronavirus vaccine and 20 percent get both shots.

With Post wires

Continue Reading

Trending