Connect with us

Sports

MLB, Blue Jays fire Roberto Alomar after investigation into sexual misconduct

Published

on

MLB, Blue Jays fire Roberto Alomar after investigation into sexual misconduct

Hall of Fame second baseman Roberto Alomar was fired from two consulting roles and placed on baseball’s ineligible list Friday after an investigation into sexual misconduct allegations stemming from a workplace incident in 2014.

Alomar, 53, was terminated from his position as a consultant for MLB and was also fired by the Blue Jays, for whom he’d held a similar role. The Blue Jays also announced that the team is “severing all ties” with Alomar, which will include the removal of his banner from Rogers Centre and the removal of his name from the team’s Level of Excellence. Alomar played in Toronto from 1991 to 1995 and was part of the team’s two World Series titles.

“At my office’s request, an independent investigation was conducted by an external legal firm to review an allegation of sexual misconduct reported by a baseball industry employee earlier this year involving Mr. Alomar in 2014,” MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement announcing the punishments. “Having reviewed all of the available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB’s policies, and that termination of his consultant contract and placement on MLB’s Ineligible List are warranted. 

“We are grateful for the courage of the individual who came forward,” Manfred continued. “MLB will continue to strive to create environments in which people feel comfortable speaking up without fear of recrimination, retaliation, or exclusion.”

TSN reported, citing an unnamed source, that the complaint against Alomar was filed “months ago” and claims that he displayed inappropriate behavior in an incident that happened years before. TSN also reported that the alleged victim was planning to sue Alomar, the Blue Jays and Major League Baseball, but the woman’s attorney issued a statement late Friday afternoon disputing the report.

“My client has no plans to file a lawsuit or take further action,” attorney Lisa Banks’ statement said in part. “She has not exposed Mr. Alomar’s behavior for notoriety or for money and looks forward to moving on with her life. She simply wants to ensure that Mr. Alomar is held accountable for his wrongdoing and hopes her actions can help Major League Baseball create a safer workplace for its employees.”

Alomar also released a statement Friday, tweeting that he was “disappointed, surprised and upset” by the news.

“With the current social climate, I understand why Major League Baseball has taken the position they have,” Alomar wrote. “My hope is that this allegation can be heard in a venue that will allow me to address the accusation directly.”

Meanwhile, Alomar’s plaque at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., will remain on display, Chairwoman Jane Forbes Clark said in a statement.

“The National Baseball Hall of Fame was shocked and saddened to learn of the news being shared today about Roberto Alomar. When he was elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America in the Class of 2011, Alomar was an eligible candidate in good standing,” the statement said. “His plaque will remain on display in the Hall of Fame in recognition of his accomplishments in the game, and his enshrinement reflects his eligibility and the perspective of the BBWAA voters at that time.”

Alomar played for seven teams during his 17-year MLB career and retired before the 2005 season.

This story has been updated.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Twitter reacts to Russell Westbrook’s NBA-record 182nd career triple-double

Published

on

Twitter reacts to Russell Westbrook's NBA-record 182nd career triple-double

Russell Westbrook made history Monday night, notching his 182nd career triple-double — and moving past Oscar Robertson for the all-time NBA record.

Robertson’s record lasted 47 years, from 1974 through Monday night when a fourth-quarter rebound in front of a reduced-capacity crowd in Atlanta gave Westbrook sole possession of the record. It took him 12 years to surpass Robertson’s record after he achieved his first triple-double (17 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds) in 2009 as a rookie with the Thunder.

MORE: Jaylen Brown injury update: Celtics star out for rest of season with torn wrist ligament

Monday’s triple-double was Westbrook’s 36th of the year. That insane output is helping him average, for the fourth time in his career, a triple-double over the course of the season. The previous such campaigns came in 2016-17 through 2018-19.

Westbrook finished with 28 points, 21 assists and 13 rebounds in the Wizards’ 125-124 loss to the Hawks; the loss dropped Washington to 32-37 on the season, but the team still ranks 10th in the Eastern Conference standings. The Wizards’ playoff hopes pale in comparison to the history Westbrook made, however.

He even made sure to get the game ball from officials so he could be certain to commemorate the historic achievement.

Here are some of the best reactions to Westbrook’s history-making feat:

Continue Reading

Sports

Kenny Mayne’s ESPN cover letter was perfect precursor to his incredible career

Published

on

Kenny Mayne's ESPN cover letter was perfect precursor to his incredible career

ESPN’s Kenny Mayne, one of the most recognizable talents in sports broadcasting, is leaving the network, he announced on Monday.

The 27-year ESPN anchor broke the news on Twitter, describing his exit from the worldwide leader in sports as a “salary cap casualty.” Naturally, he could only include some of the dry humor that helped him become a beloved presence in the studio and on millions of sports fans’ TVs.

MORE: ESPN anchors get emotional over laid-off co-workers: ‘We are all hurting’

The longtime “SportsCenter” host’s final day will be on May 24, bringing to an end a 27-year stint at ESPN that began in 1994. His absence will undoubtedly be noted among fans who appreciated his humor and presence in ESPN’s studios — but his Monday announcement is as good a reason as any to remember the incredible cover letter that first landed him the gig in 1994.

Mayne sent a short and sweet cover letter to ESPN’s John Walsh in 1994, offering him three checkboxes in the former’s bid to land a job with ESPN:

Unsurprisingly, Mayne made Walsh smile. Walsh wouldn’t be the last person to smile at Mayne’s humor and creativity.

Continue Reading

Sports

Jaylen Brown injury update: Celtics star out for rest of season with torn wrist ligament

Published

on

Jaylen Brown injury update: Celtics star out for rest of season with torn wrist ligament

The Celtics will have to fight for a playoff spot without one of their most important players.

Boston announced Monday night that All-Star forward Jaylen Brown has suffered a torn scapholunate ligament in his left wrist and will miss the rest of the 2020-21 season. He is expected to undergo surgery later this week.

MORE: Will LeBron James return vs. Knicks?

The Celtics offered no specific timetable for Brown’s return to the court, but as The Athletic’s Jared Weiss noted, Boston guard Romeo Langford suffered the same injury last year and took about six months to recover. If Brown stays roughly on that timeline, he should be available to rejoin the lineup for the start of the 2021-22 campaign.

Brown dealt with injury and COVID-19 issues throughout the season, but the 24-year-old still managed to earn his first All-Star selection with some of the best individual numbers of his career. He averaged a career-high 24.7 points per game while shooting 48.4 percent from the field and 39.7 percent from 3-point range.

Without Brown available, Boston will rely heavily on Jayson Tatum and Kemba Walker to produce offensively. The Celtics will also need more from trade deadline acquisition Evan Fournier, who most recently scored 30 points in a loss to the Heat on Sunday — his highest scoring output since joining the team.

Even if other players step up in Brown’s absence, the Celtics, currently the No. 7 seed in the Eastern Conference standings, are unlikely to make a deep run in the 2021 NBA playoffs. They would face an uphill battle in a potential first-round series against the 76ers, Nets or Bucks, the top three seeds in the Eastern Conference.

Continue Reading

Trending