Connect with us

Living

Melting glacier reveals ‘open-air museum’ of World War I relics

Published

on

Adamello White War Museum, Temu, Valle Camonica, Lombardy. Image shot 08/2014. Exact date unknown.

Thawing ice has revealed a treasure trove of previously hidden World War I artifacts in the Italian Alps. 

Last month, a team from the Stelvio National Park White’s War Museum excavated a cave shelter, built by Austrian soldiers, atop Mount Scorluzzo and acquired 300 “exciting” artifacts, ranging from coins to corpses, helmets and weapons. 

No one had been inside the space, which was hidden and closed off by ice, in nearly 100 years. But as a result of rising temperatures, a glacier preventing access to the shelter had sufficiently melted in 2017 to allow researchers into what they’ve discovered to be a goldmine of items.

As the ice melted, relics — including bodies — have continued to appear in the area summer after summer. 

“A corpse is found every two or three years, usually in places where there was fighting on the glacier,” museum staffer Marco Ghizzoni told The Guardian.

“The findings in the cave on Mount Scorluzzo give us, after over a hundred years, a slice of life at over 3,000 meters above sea level, where the time stopped on November 3, 1918 when the last Austrian soldier closed the door and rushed downhill,” according to a museum press release, CNN reported. 

Inside, a world last accessed close to a century ago has offered researchers an abundance of antiques from a bygone era. Some of the recovered artifacts will be part of a collection set to open at the museum next year.

“It’s a sort of open-air museum,” historian Stefano Morosini told CNN of the northern Italy cave, where 20 servicemen lived their “very poor daily” lives while fighting Italian troops during the war. “Soldiers had to fight against the extreme environment, fight against the snow or the avalanches, but also fight against the enemy,” he went on. “The artifacts are a representation, like a time machine, of … the extreme conditions of life during the First World War.”

Italy’s White War Museum.

Alamy Stock Photo

Adamello White War Museum, Temu, Valle Camonica, Lombardy. Image shot 08/2014. Exact date unknown.

An upcoming exhibit here will display some of the findings from the cave expeditions.

Alamy Stock Photo

Up Next

John Means’ no-hitter on Wednesday was a historic moment for…

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Living

UK to ban daytime junk food adverts on TV and online

Published

on

By

UK to ban daytime junk food adverts on TV and online

LONDON, June 24 – Britain will ban adverts promoting unhealthy food from appearing on television during the day and on the internet as part of its drive to tackle obesity and encourage healthy eating.

The new rules, which will come into force at the end of next year, are designed to change the current trend where one in three children leave primary school overweight or obese, but they prompted an angry reaction from some media groups.

Under the plan, adverts for foods that are high in fat, salt and sugar will be banned from appearing on television or UK on-demand programming before 2100 hours. They will also be banned from paid-for slots online, allowing them to still appear on their producer’s website and social media pages.

The government said the restrictions would apply to all businesses with 250 or more employees that make or sell the products, helping to protect smaller companies that can only afford to advertise online.

“The content youngsters see can have an impact on the choices they make and habits they form,” Public Health Minister Jo Churchill said on Thursday.

“With children spending more time online it is vital we act to protect them from unhealthy advertising.”

Analysis cited by the government showed that almost half of all TV food adverts shown in a month in 2019 were for unhealthy food. A sugar tax introduced in 2018 prompted some drink manufacturers to cut their sugar levels.

The News and Media Association said it was very disappointed with the decision because it was not clear a link had been found between advertising exposure and childhood obesity.

“Instead of tackling the problem of childhood obesity, this draconian measure will harm news media publishers who rely on advertising revenue to fund the journalism which keeps us all informed,” the NMA’s Sayra Tekin said.

Shares in Britain’s biggest commercial broadcaster ITV were down less than 1 percent while newspaper group Reach fell 1.5 percent and Daily Mail & General Trust fell 2 percent.

Continue Reading

Living

COVID-19 contributes the biggest decline in US life expectancy in decades

Published

on

By

In this Tuesday, April 7, 2020 file photo, gravedigger Thomas Cortez watches as a refrigerated trailer is delivered to keep pace with a surge of bodies arriving for burials, mostly those who died from coronavirus, at the Hebrew Free Burial Association's cemetery in the Staten Island borough of New York.

The life expectancy in the US fell by about two years from 2018 to 2020, a decline blamed on the COVID-19 outbreak and the ripple effect the virus had on daily life.

Steven Woolf, who is from the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine and an author of the study, said a similar decline has not been seen since WWII, according to NPR.

“It’s a horrific decrease in life expectancy,” he said. 

The study, which was published in the British Medical Journal, said the US had a much larger decrease in life expectancy in the timeframe than other high-income nations, “with pronounced losses among Hispanic and non-Hispanic Black populations.”

Woolf pointed to several factors that contributed to the death that included “disruptions in health care, disruptions in chronic disease management and behavioral health crisis, where people struggling with addiction disorders or depression might not have gotten that help they needed.”

The average life expectancy in the US back in 2018 was about 79 and by the end of 2020 was about 77. 

Continue Reading

Living

Crisis PR pro snags Trump Tower condo in all-cash deal

Published

on

By

Crisis PR pro snags Trump Tower condo in all-cash deal

Crisis publicist/reputation management pro Josh Nass paid $1.8 million for a Trump Tower pad in all cash deal — far less than the $2.3 million that the seller, Dalimar Assets Inc., paid for it in 2006.

The sale was first reported by OK Magazine and Nass did not use a broker. 

Nass’s new unit at 721 Fifth Ave. was once on the market for $4.3 million back in 2014. Its last asking price had been brutally slashed to $2 million.

The two-bedroom, 2½-bath unit is 1,477 square feet and it is directly below a unit that Melania Trump bought from the Trump Organization.

Nass already had ties to the building before he bought in it, as he once arranged a meeting for Russia’s chief rabbi, Berel Lazar, and Jason Greenblatt, who became President Trump’s Middle Eastern envoy.

The main bedroom comes with a large walk-in closet and a marble ensuite bathroom. There’s also a small chef’s kitchen, built-in sound, limestone floors and Fifth Avenue views.

Trump Tower prices were down during Trump’s presidency. In 2019, Vincent Gallo bought a unit for $1.47 million that had been asking $3.4 million in 2017. But now that the barricades are down, prices appear to be on their way up.

The purchase, Nass tells Gimme, is “not a bet on Trump.” Instead, he says, “It’s a bet on New York City’s comeback and Fifth Avenue and 56th Street being the center of the city and the world.”

The listing brokers are Leonel Piraino and Rafael Salas of Brown Harris Stevens. 

Continue Reading

Trending