Connect with us

Breaking News

Mass brewery uncovered in Egypt may be oldest in the world

Published

on

Mass brewery uncovered in Egypt may be oldest in the world

Before there was the King of Beers, there was the Pharaoh of Beers.

A team of archaeologists in southern Egypt has uncovered what’s believed to be the world’s oldest large-scale brewery, dating back more than 5,000 years.

“The joint Egyptian-American archaeological mission, headed by Dr. Matthew Adams of New York University, and Dr. Deborah Vischak of Princeton University, working in North Abydos, Sohag, has uncovered what is believed to be the oldest high-production brewery in the world,” Egypt’s tourism ministry wrote in a Facebook post on Saturday.

The suds shop “likely dates back to the era of King Narmer,” who ruled around 3100 BC and is widely credited with uniting Upper and Lower Egypt, the post quotes Mostafa Waziry, the secretary general of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities, as saying.

The sprawling brewery consists of eight sectors, each with about 40 earthenware pots divided into two rows — and is believed to have made more than 22,000 liters of beer at a time, according to the statement.

The facility “may have been built in this place specifically to supply the royal rituals that were taking place inside the funeral facilities of the kings of Egypt,” said Adams in the statement, which went on to note that beer may have been used in “sacrificial rites.”

British archaeologists previously learned of the brewery’s existence in the early 1900s, but could never pin an exact location on it, according to the statement.

In 2019, Israeli researchers used 5,000-year-old yeast recovered from Egyptian, Philistine and Judean pottery fragments to brew up a batch of beer.

And in 2014, archaeologists in the Egyptian city of Luxor unearthed the relatively modern tomb of ancient brewmaster Khonso Em Heb, dating back some 3,200 years.

With Post Wires

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Ohio grandmother killed by stray bullet before son’s funeral

Published

on

By

Ohio grandmother killed by stray bullet before son's funeral

An Ohio grandmother was struck by a stray bullet and killed while planning her son’s funeral over the weekend, a report said.

Ruth Lewis, 89, gathered with relatives at a family member’s home in Warren when she was shot in the back around 7:30 p.m. Sunday, according to WKBN-TV.

She was pronounced dead a short time later. No other injuries were reported.

“This was a senseless death caused by a random bullet,” said Warren Mayor Doug Franklin.

“Obviously, she wasn’t the target so it’s so unfortunate, but that just goes to speak to the dangers of just having so many guns in irresponsible hands.”

Witnesses reported hearing at least five to 10 gunshots, including one who saw two cars driving away erratically from the home.

With Post Wires

Continue Reading

Breaking News

$140 million ‘Pelosi subway’ axed from Senate COVID bill

Published

on

By

$140 million 'Pelosi subway' axed from Senate COVID bill

Guess she’ll have to take the bus.

Funding for a rail project near House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s California district that Republicans denounced as wasteful was removed Tuesday from President Biden’s $1.9 trillion COVID-19 stimulus bill.

The Senate parliamentarian ruled the $140 million appropriation wasn’t allowed under the so-called Byrd rule that polices unrelated items in budget reconciliation bills.

Republicans singled out the rail project as an example of unrelated “pork” in the bill, which is being rammed through Congress without Republican support using special rules that allow a simple majority vote in the Senate.

On Tuesday, Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) ridiculed the project as Pelosi’s “tunnel of love” ahead of an anticipated vote on the package later this week.

Representatives for Pelosi, who represents San Francisco, had defended the project, saying that ridership for mass-transit plummeted during the pandemic, making it reasonable to increase government spending.

“The Senate Parliamentarian has now ruled that the BART extension from San Jose to Santa Clara does not meet the requirements of the Byrd rule because it is part of a pilot project. Therefore, it will be removed from the reconciliation package,” Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill said.

A separate $1.5 million allocation for the Seaway International Bridge between Massena, New York, and Canada also will be removed, he said.

The Senate parliamentarian previously blocked Democrats from including a federal minimum wage hike to $15 per hour in the bill.

Hammill defended the original inclusion of the rail funds.

“COVID-19 had an immediate and overwhelming effect on all of our transportation systems and the millions of transportation and construction jobs associated with them,” he said.

“As part of the $30 billion in public transit support, the House included $1.425 billion to help dozens of major transit rail capital projects, including the BART extension from San Jose to Santa Clara.”

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Masked intruder tried to break into Sandra Lee’s Malibu home

Published

on

By

Masked intruder tried to break into Sandra Lee's Malibu home

A masked man was caught on surveillance video trying to break into the Malibu home of Food Network star Sandra Lee, a report said.

The footage shows the would-be thief attempting to get inside the front door of the home twice within a 20-minute period early on Feb. 11, according to People magazine.

Lee, 54, was not home at the time of the attempted break-in but has since beefed up security.

Lee “has hired full-time security and personal protection” since the incident, a source told the magazine, adding that the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the case.

The culprit was caught on a doorbell cam trying to open a key lock box twice.

Lee did not recognize the man, People said.

The attempted break-in came one week after Lee revealed that her wardrobe included one-of-a-kind pieces that include a Bob Mackie frock that was once worn by Cher on the “Sonny and Cher Show.”

However, police said nothing appears to have been taken from the house.

Lee moved out of the Westchester County home she shared with Gov. Andrew Cuomo last year. The Food Network star has been silent amid recent sexual harassment claims against Cuomo, whom she dated for 14 years.

Lee said on social media in December that she “decided to get back to me.”

Continue Reading

Trending