Connect with us

Breaking News

Macaulay Culkin backs calls for Donald Trump to be cut from Home Alone 2: Lost In New York | Ents & Arts News

Published

on

Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister in Home Alone, 1990

Donald Trump has come to his final days as US president – but if Kevin McCallister gets his way, that won’t be the only role that ends for him.

Following Mr Trump‘s permanent ban from Twitter and other social media sites in the wake of the Capitol riots on 6 January, a number of internet memes suggested his cameo in Home Alone 2: Lost In New York should be cut.

Now, Macaulay Culkin, who played enterprising, burglar-thwarting youngster Kevin in the films, has backed calls for his removal.

Image:
Culkin played Kevin in the first two films in the series

The famous blink-and-you’ll-miss-it scene sees Kevin asking Mr Trump for directions to the lobby in the New York Plaza Hotel, which the president owned at the time of filming for the 1992 sequel.

On Wednesday, the actor responded to two tweets about the cameo.

“Petition to digitally replace Trump in Home Alone 2 with 40-year-old Macaulay Culkin,” said one, to which he simply replied: “Sold.”

And to another Twitter user who digitally removed Mr Trump from the scene, making him invisible in a post liked by more than 100,000 people, Culkin responded: “Bravo.”

In an interview marking the 30th anniversary of the original Home Alone film in November, the film’s director Chris Columbus said Mr Trump had “bullied” his way into the cameo role.

“Like most locations in New York City, you just pay a fee and you are allowed to shoot in that location,” he told Insider. “We approached The Plaza Hotel, which Trump owned at the time, because we wanted to shoot in the lobby. We couldn’t rebuild The Plaza on a soundstage.

“Trump said okay. We paid the fee, but he also said, ‘The only way you can use the Plaza is if I’m in the movie’. So we agreed to put him in the movie, and when we screened it for the first time the oddest thing happened: people cheered when Trump showed up on screen.

“So I said to my editor, ‘Leave him in the movie. It’s a moment for the audience’. But he did bully his way into the movie.”

In December 2019, Canada’s national broadcaster CBC aired the film with the cameo deleted in a move that Donald Trump Jr described as “pathetic”.

However, a CBC spokesman denied the decision was politically motivated, saying eight minutes had been removed from the film to shorten it and “the scene with Donald Trump was one of several that were cut from the movie as none of them were integral to the plot”.

A Home Alone remake by Disney is currently in the works.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

British Virgin Islands: Inquiry into claims of corruption and political interference – all with the public purse | World News

Published

on

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab wearing a face mask waits for the French and German foreign ministers to arrive for an E3 Ministers meeting at Chevening House in Sevenoaks, Kent.

Claims of widespread corruption and fraud involving millions of pounds of public money are being investigated on the British Virgin Islands.

The governor of the islands, a British territory, has ordered an independent inquiry into the allegations and is supported by both the prime minister and the foreign secretary.

One of the claims is that $40m (£29m) set aside for struggling families during the COVID pandemic might have been channelled to political allies.

Announcing the Commission of Inquiry, Governor August Jaspert said there were “wide concerns over the possible mismanagement of some public projects”.

He said successive audit reports had set out practices of “political interference, inflated pricing and conflicts of interest” and added: “These may have cost the public purse millions of dollars in recent years, with no sign of improvement.

“In the past months, the community has had many open and honest conversations about this. For the first time, many have felt confident to raise their voice. This is an important conversation for us to have, albeit difficult as those who speak up are too often silenced.”

In a written statement to parliament, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said: “The UK is extremely concerned about the state of good governance in the British Virgin Islands.

“A consistent and deeply troubling array of concerns have been put to the governor by local institutions and the community.

“Successive attempts have been made to address these concerns through local institutions, many of which have done commendable work to bring them to light.

“However, the scope and seriousness of the concerns are now beyond local capacity to address.”

Image:
Mr Raab said the ‘scope and seriousness of the concerns are now beyond local capacity to address’

It is the first inquiry of its kind in more than 10 years – the last took place in 2008 to investigate corruption on Turks and Caicos.

It was felt that the British Virgin Islands themselves lack the ability to investigate allegations of this breadth, scope and seriousness.

Among the claims are ones of political interference in appointments and the criminal justice system – and the misuse of public money on infrastructure and transport projects including $7m (£5m) to an airline that did not exist and more than a million dollars spent on a school fence.

There have also been claims of intimidation towards people in the media and community leadership.

In November 2020, two tonnes of cocaine with a street value of almost £190m was seized, underlining the extent of criminal behaviour on BVI.

The inquiry is set to formally begin in the coming days and is expected last at least six months.

It will be led by the Right Honourable Lord Justice Gary Hickinbottom, an experienced High Court judge.

He will have the power to seize evidence and force witnesses to give evidence.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

COVID-19: 4 million jabs delivered but Boris Johnson warns there will be no ‘open sesame’ of lockdown easing | Politics News

Published

on

COVID-19: 4 million jabs delivered but Boris Johnson warns there will be no 'open sesame' of lockdown easing | Politics News

Four million people have now received a coronavirus jab, the prime minister has revealed, as he warned the public there will be no “open sesame” of lockdown easing.

Speaking during a visit to the manufacturing facility for the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, Boris Johnson said the UK was rolling out COVID-19 vaccines “as fast as we can”.

Live COVID news from UK and around the world

“I think we’ve done more than half of the over-80s, half of the people in care homes, the elderly residents of care homes,” he said.

According to the latest figures from Public Health England, a total of 4,062,501 people in the UK have received the first dose of a vaccine.

Those over the age of 70 and any adult classed as being clinically extremely vulnerable will, from today, also start being offered a jab.

And Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi told Sky News earlier that 24-hour vaccination sites will be piloted in London before the end of the month.

Asked about when restrictions could begin to be relaxed, the prime minister said it would be a gradual process and would depend on successfully rolling out the vaccine and no new concerning variants of the virus emerging.

“I understand completely that people want to get back to normal as fast as we possibly can. It does depend on things going well,” Mr Johnson stressed.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Round-the-clock vaccinations pilot

“It depends on the vaccination programme going well, it depends on there being no new variants that throw our plans out and we have to mitigate against, and it depends on everybody, all of us, remembering that we’re not out of the woods yet.”

The prime minister said the government would be able to “take stock of what we’ve achieved” in the middle of next month – the deadline set to offer a first dose of the vaccine to the most vulnerable.

“That’s the time to look at where the virus is, the extent of the infection and the success that we’ve had,” said Mr Johnson.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Will the vaccine stay ahead of new variants?

“It’s only really then that we can talk about the way ahead and what steps we can take to relax.

“I’m afraid I’ve got to warn people it will be gradual, you can’t just open up in a great open sesame, in a great bang, because I’m afraid the situation is still pretty precarious.”

Mr Johnson again maintained that things would look “very different” by spring.

He said: “That doesn’t mean we are not going to be living with the consequences of the arrival of the coronavirus pandemic for a while to come – the economic consequences and the threat to our health as well.

“We have to remain vigilant about this for a long time.”

Continue Reading

Breaking News

US Capitol Complex put in lockdown due to ‘external security threat’ | US News

Published

on

US Capitol Complex put in lockdown due to 'external security threat' | US News

The US Capitol Complex has been put in lockdown with no entry or exit due to an “external security threat”.

US Capitol Police issued a warning to all buildings within the complex.

A notice sent to House and Senate offices read:  “All buildings within the Capitol Complex: Due to an external security threat located under the bridge on I-295 at First and F Streets SE, no entry or exit is permitted at this time.

“You may move throughout the buildings but stay away from exterior windows and doors.

“If you are outside, seek cover.”

The Capitol Complex on the National Mall in Washington DC, is a group of 20 buildings and offices surrounding the Capitol building itself, that are used by the federal government and its departments.

Continue Reading

Trending