Greater than 8.5 million coronavirus circumstances and at the very least 454,000 deaths have been reported worldwide.
As confirmed circumstances and hospitalizations climb within the U.S., new masks necessities are prompting faceoffs between officers who search to require face coverings and people, notably conservatives, who oppose such measures. A number of research this month support wearing masks to curb coronavirus transmission, and the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention recommend their use as a protecting measure.
Listed below are some vital developments:
- The inventory market closed broadly decrease as worries about rising coronavirus infections in a number of states undercut an earlier rally. The Dow closed down 208 factors, erasing an early acquire of 371 factors Friday following information that Apple will quickly shut 11 shops as virus circumstances rise throughout swaths of the South and West.
- Case numbers hit report highs Friday in Florida and Arizona as they proceed to surge within the South and West. Tulsa County in Oklahoma — the place President Trump plans to hold a campaign rally Saturday — additionally hit a report excessive Friday.
- The CDC stated Thursday that the U.S. loss of life toll from the coronavirus may rise to as excessive as 145,000 by July 11, that means as many as 26,000 Individuals may die within the subsequent few weeks.
- The Oklahoma Supreme Court docket rejected a legal bid to stop Trump’s Tulsa rally over well being issues. Residents and companies filed the lawsuit over issues that President Trump’s marketing campaign rally, anticipated to attract 19,000 individuals to the BOK Heart in Tulsa, may worsen the pandemic within the metropolis.
- Capt. Brett Crozier’s elimination from command of the united statesTheodore Roosevelt after he questioned the Navy’s dealing with of the outbreak on his ship has been upheld by Navy leaders. The Navy had launched an inquiry to analyze what occurred and contemplate Crozier’s reinstatement.
- Trump stated the NFL is “planning a really protected and managed opening” and took a swipe at high federal infectious-disease knowledgeable Anthony S. Fauci for expressing skepticism that soccer may safely be performed this 12 months. In a latest interview with the Wall Avenue Journal, Trump known as coronavirus testing “overrated.”