The Washington Post is providing this important information about the coronavirus for free. For more free coverage of the coronavirus pandemic, sign up for our Coronavirus Updates newsletter where all stories are free to read.
Face mask requirements are taking hold across the country as states throughout the South and West continue to report record highs in new daily coronavirus cases.
Officials in some of the biggest cities in Arizona and Florida have ordered people to wear masks in public, and California’s governor has mandated them statewide. On Friday, nine Texas mayors wrote a letter to the states’ residents, urging them to wear masks as the number of hospital patients swells.
Here are some significant developments:
- Navy leaders have upheld the firing of an aircraft carrier captain whose handling of an outbreak raised concerns about the military’s vulnerability to the highly contagious disease and generated a personnel crisis for the Navy.
- Brazil surpassed 1 million cases Friday as the country continues to battle the world’s second-highest number of confirmed infections, after the United States.
- New Jersey officials are starting to identify uncounted coronavirus-related deaths in the state.
- The World Health Organization warned Friday that “the world is in a new and dangerous phase” as the global pandemic accelerates.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday that the U.S. death toll could rise to as high as 145,000 by July 11. At least 117,000 have already died.