Here are some significant developments:
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi responded to criticism of her trip to a San Francisco hair salon — which was not cleared to reopen for indoor service and where she appeared momentarily maskless. Her defense: “It was a setup.”
- By the end of 2020, the amount of debt owed by the United States will amount to 98 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product, the highest level since the end of World War II, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said.
- Cheap, widely available steroid drugs reduced the number of deaths in the sickest patients with covid-19, according to three newly published clinical trials.
- A Minnesota biker who attended the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally has died of covid-19 — the first fatality from the virus traced to the 10-day event that drew more than 400,000 people to South Dakota. His is among at least 260 cases in 11 states tied directly to the event.
- A study out of Iceland found that coronavirus antibodies lasted for at least four months, which could be good news for vaccine development efforts.