Connect with us

Breaking News

Lincoln Project co-founder Steve Schmidt resigns

Published

on

Lincoln Project co-founder Steve Schmidt resigns

Lincoln Project co-founder Steve Schmidt is stepping down from its board as scandals continue to mount against the anti-Trump super PAC.

The veteran Republican operative’s departure comes after other leaders at the big-money political action committee accused him of fumbling sexual harassment allegations against another co-founder, according to Axios.

Leaders at the Lincoln Project — best known for raising millions to fund the GOP “Never Trump” movement — were reportedly informed in writing and phone calls of at least 10 specific allegations of harassment against John Weaver as early as June.

Former employees claim that Schmidt and others within the Lincoln Project knew about the sexual intimidation, including claims from some two dozen men that the former President George H.W. Bush adviser tried to seduce them with potential job opportunities while propositioning them for sex.

Two former interns have come forward with lurid messages Weaver allegedly sent them in an attempt to solicit sexual favors in exchange for professional advancement.

In constant creepy exchanges over text message and phone calls, Weaver repeatedly mentioned sexual acts and innuendo, the interns told New York Magazine.

Weaver — who is married with children — stepped down last month, saying he had been struggling to accept his sexuality.

The Lincoln Project had announced plans late Thursday to launch an external probe into Weaver’s tenure.

Schmidt also repeated his claim that leaders never aware of internal allegations involving Weaver, just hours before stepping down from the conservative super PAC.

“No Lincoln Project employee, intern, or contractors ever made an allegation of inappropriate communication about John Weaver that would have triggered an investigation by HR or by an outside employment counsel,” Schmidt told the Associated Press on Wednesday, two days before stepping down.

“In other words, no human being ever made an allegation about any inappropriate sexualized communications about John Weaver ever.”

By Friday night, three other Lincoln Project associates had cut ties with the company.

Spokesman Kurt Bardella, video host Nayyera Haq and unpaid adviser Tom Nichols all stepped down from Lincoln Project, Axios reported.

The Lincoln Project raised more than $90 million since its creation in 2019, but more than half of that was spent on consulting companies.

With AP wires

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Peter Gotti, former Gambino crime boss, dead at 81

Published

on

By

Peter Gotti, former Gambino crime boss, dead at 81

Mobster Peter Gotti, the one-time Gambino crime boss and successor to brother John “Dapper Don” Gotti, died in North Carolina where he was serving time in federal prison. He was 81.

Gotti, who had been sentenced to 25 years in jail after being convicted in 2003 on racketeering and other charges, died of natural causes at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, the Associated Press reported.

The Bronx native served more than 17 years behind bars and had been recently seeking an early release because of his poor health.

Gotti had been suffering from thyroid problems, and was blind in one eye, Lewis Kasman, a former mobster and John Gotti confidant, told the AP.

Peter Gotti, a former sanitation worker turned mobster, took over the Gambino crime family after his younger brother John was sent to prison for murder and racketeering.

John Gotti died of cancer in 2002.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Minimum wage hike can’t be in COVID relief bill: Senate official

Published

on

By

Minimum wage hike can't be in COVID relief bill: Senate official

Democrats can’t include a $15 minimum wage hike as part of the $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package, a key Senate official ruled on Thursday.

Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough’s decision dealt a blow to progressives, who had been pushing to include such a provision in the bill.

MacDonough, the nonpartisan arbiter of Senate rules, issued a guidance saying she didn’t believe the change complied with guidelines of reconciliation, the fast-track process that Dems are using to pass the bill.

Senate Budget Committee Chair Bernie Sanders, who previously said he was optimistic that MacDonough would back the provision, slammed the finding on Thursday night.

“I strongly disagree with tonight’s decision by the Senate Parliamentarian,” the Vermont lawmaker said in a statement.

“The fight to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour continues,” he added.

Republicans, meanwhile, hailed the decision.

“Very pleased the Senate Parliamentarian has ruled that a minimum wage increase is an inappropriate policy change in reconciliation,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, the top Republican on the Senate Budget Committee. 

“This decision will, over time, reinforce the traditions of the Senate.”

Some moderate Democrats, including Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, have voiced opposition to including the minimum wage boost in the relief bill.

That suggests Dems would lack the votes to push through the provision, should they opt to break decades of Senate precedent, ignore the parliamentarian’s view, and keep it in the bill.

With Post wires

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Hasbro reassures fans that Mr. Potato Head isn’t going anywhere

Published

on

By

Hasbro reassures fans that Mr. Potato Head isn't going anywhere

So mash for that.

Hasbro is scrambling to reassure fans that Mr. Potato Head still exists — amid uproar over its gender-neutral rebranding announcement.

“Hold that Tot – your main spud, MR. POTATO HEAD isn’t going anywhere!,” the company tweeted on Thursday evening.

The classic toy firm sparked a social media frenzy on Thursday morning when it announced that it would be dropping “Mr.” and “Mrs.” from the brand as part of a gender-inclusive push.

“Culture has evolved. Kids want to be able to represent their own experiences,” Kimberly Boyd, Hasbro’s senior vice president of global brands, told Fast Company.

“The way the brand currently exists — with the ‘Mr.’ and ‘Mrs.’ — is limiting when it comes to both gender identity and family structure.”

Many on social media dismissed the move as half-baked, while others just rolled their eyes at the hubbub.

Several hours later, Hasbro clarified that it was the toy brand that was being changed to “Potato Head” — and that the beloved Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head characters would still exist, names and all.

The company will also be releasing a Potato Head “family kit” that will let kids “create all types of families,” it said in a statement.

“While we’re renaming the Mr. Potato Head brand to Potato Head to better reflect the full line, the iconic Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head characters aren’t going anywhere,” a spokeswoman for the firm, Catalina Ramirez, told The Post.

“The new product we announced today Create Your Potato Head Family is a kit that includes enough potatoes and accessories for kids to create all types of families,” she added.

Several toymakers have recently updated their brands to appeal to kids today — including Barbie, who shed her blonde image and got a makeover to include more skin tones and body shapes.

Thomas the Tank Engine also added more female characters and American Girl is now selling a boy doll.

With Post Wires

Continue Reading

Trending