Connect with us

Entertainment

Golden Globes group ousts ex-HFPA head Phil Berk over BLM email

Published

on

Golden Globes group ousts ex-HFPA head Phil Berk over BLM email

LOS ANGELES — A former president of the organization that hosts the Golden Globes has been dropped from the group’s board after sending an email that called Black Lives Matter a “hate movement.”

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association board said in an email Tuesday that Phil Berk is no longer a member of the organization. The decision comes hours after NBC — which telecasts the Globes — condemned Berk’s actions and called for his “immediate expulsion.”

The show’s producer, Dick Clark Productions, also demanded Berk’s removal.

Berk, an eight-term association president, fell under heavy scrutiny after he sent an email Sunday criticizing Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors. The South African-born Berk shared an article that called Black Lives Matter a “racist hate movement” and described Cullors as a “self-proclaimed trained Marxist,” according to a report from the Los Angeles Times.

The email was sent to HFPA members, staff and the group’s general counsel and chief operating officer.

Berk had been a member of the organization for more than 40 years.

Shaun Harper, who was hired as a diversity strategist advisor by the HFPA last month, said in a resignation letter that he was initially optimistic when he joined the organization, but he felt compelled to step down after learning about the group’s “deep systemic and reputational challenges.”

“I no longer have confidence in our ability to collaboratively deliver the transformational change that the industry and people in it whom I deeply respect are demanding of you,” said Harper, who is a professor of racial, gender and LGBTQ issues at the University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business.

“My serious, unwavering commitment to the racial and gender equity issues on which I work every day make it impossible for me to continue serving in a consulting capacity with the HFPA,” he continued.

In February, the HFPA was criticized for lacking diversity. At the time, the group had 87 members who are journalists, but none are Black, the Times reported.

The organization has said that an “action plan” was under development to admit Black members.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Demi Lovato is getting a TV show about UFOs

Published

on

Demi Lovato is getting a TV show about UFOs

The truth is out there — and Demi Lovato is trying to find it. 

The pop star, 28, is the latest celebrity to enter the field of UFOs, as she’s getting a four-part docuseries about the subject on Peacock. Called “Unidentified With Demi Lovato,” the show will see Lovato, her friend Matthew and her sister Dallas, 33, visiting UFO hot spots, investigating eyewitness encounters and uncovering secret government reports. 

Lovato seems to have been preparing for this as early as October, when she posted a photo of the night sky on her Instagram along with the caption, “If we were to get 1% of the population to meditate and make contact, we would force our governments to acknowledge the truth about extraterrestrial life among us and change our destructive habits destroying our planet.”

Lovato also recently appeared in “Demi Lovato: Dancing With the Devil,” a YouTube docuseries covering traumas in her life such as her 2018 overdose and her struggles with eating disorders and substance abuse. Her album of the same name also addresses coming out as pansexual and breaking off her engagement to Max Ehrich.

Other celebs who have become interested in the field of UFOs include Blink-182 co-founder Tom DeLonge and Jack Osbourne. 

“Unidentified With Demi Lovato” doesn’t have a premiere date yet. 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Leonardo Dicaprio unrecognizable in first photos of new film

Published

on

Leonardo Dicaprio unrecognizable in first photos of new film

Apple has released the first-ever photos from Martin Scorsese’s highly anticipated Western, “Killers of the Flower Moon.”

The pics depict Leonardo DiCaprio and Lily Gladstone as Ernest and Mollie Burkhart, a white man and an Osage woman who fall in love in Oklahoma during the early 20th century, IndieWire reported.

In the first look, fans see a notably plain-looking DiCaprio, 46, seated aside Gladstone, 34, lit starkly in a dining room.

The couple’s relationship forms the backdrop for “Flower Moon,” which is based on David Grann’s best-selling book of the same name. The nonfiction work chronicles the Osage Nation murders, in which Native Americans in 1920s Oklahoma were massacred after oil was discovered on their land.

Notably, Gladstone herself is Native American, and grew up on the Blackfeet reservation in Montana.

Starring opposite Gladstone and DiCaprio is a decorated supporting cast that includes Robert De Niro, Jesse Plemons, Cara Jade Myers, Janae Collins, Jillian Dion, William Belleau, Jason Isbell, Louis Cancelmi, Scott Shepherd, Sturgill Simpson and many others.

Scorsese began filming on “Flower Moon” on April 19 after getting delayed over a year due to COVID-19 concerns.

“We are thrilled to finally start production on ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ in Oklahoma,” “The Irishman” director said in a statement last month regarding the film, which he is producing and directing based on a screenplay by himself and Eric Roth.

“To be able to tell this story on the land where these events took place is incredibly important and critical to allowing us to portray an accurate depiction of the time and people.”

“Flower Moon” is slated for theatrical release by Paramount with funding from Apple (which appears at odds with Scorsese’s highly publicized distaste for streaming services). It currently does not have a release date.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Cult flick ‘Faces of Death’ to get modern reimagining

Published

on

Cult flick ‘Faces of Death’ to get modern reimagining

This VHS-age favorite is being remade for the streaming era. 

Production company Legendary Entertainment has acquired the rights to “Faces of Death” and has plans to reboot the beloved 1978 faux-documentary as a modern horror franchise, according to the Hollywood Reporter. 

Legendary — which has previously produced blockbusters including “Godzilla vs. Kong,” “John Wick” and “The Dark Knight” — will be working with Isa Mazzei and Daniel Goldhaber of 2018’s psychological memoir-based thriller “Cam” for the flick.

When “Faces of Death” was released over 40 years ago, it was promoted as a documentary — similar to 1999’s “The Blair Witch Project” — successfully inciting outrage at its gruesome content. While the footage was staged, audiences initially believed it to be real.

The premise of the flick — which subsequently was both banned (although not by 52 countries, as promotional materials stated) and became a box office hit — was a pathologist’s look into the most horrific ways in the world to die, the Hollywood Reporter recounted. The true cult status of “Faces of Death” arrived in the 1980s, when it became a VHS-market phenomenon, with copies of it reproduced and shared widely. 

The original film is still in circulation thanks to one Illinois-based company. 

Angry Films’ Susan Montford and Don Murphy are set to produce and Rick Benattar of BT Productions will executive produce, THR wrote. 

The producer of the original film, John Burrud, will also be part of the team reimagining the movie. 

Continue Reading

Trending