Connect with us

Breaking News

Dunkin’ employee fatally punched man who called him racial slur: cops

Published

on

Dunkin' employee fatally punched man who called him racial slur: cops

A Dunkin’ store employee fatally punched an elderly customer in Florida because the man allegedly used a racial slur against him, police said.

Corey Pujols, 27, was arrested Tuesday on an aggravated manslaughter charge in connection to the fatal confrontation May 4 at the Dunkin’ store where he works in Marathon, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

The employee, who is black, told authorities that the 77-year-old man had been “extremely rude” the day of the altercation and called him a racial slur.

When Pujols confronted the man about the slur, the man responded by repeating it, police said.

Pujols then punched the customer in the face, causing the man to fall and hit his head on the concrete floor, authorities said.

Authorities initially arrested Pujols on a charge of battery on a person older than 65.

A warrant was issued to arrest Pujols on the aggravated manslaughter charge after the victim died at Tampa General on Friday, the newspaper reported. 

If convicted of the charge, Pujols faces up to 30 years in prison.

Dunkin’ said in a statement that they were “deeply saddened by the incident” at the franchise.

“The franchisee, who independently owns and operates this restaurant, is fully cooperating with the local authorities. As this is an ongoing investigation, we defer any additional questions to the police,” a company spokesperson told the Tampa Bay Times.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

US, Germany confront rising anti-Semitism and Holocaust denial

Published

on

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, right, accompanied by German Minister of Foreign Affairs Heiko Maas, left, speaks during a ceremony for the launch of a U.S.-Germany Dialogue on Holocaust Issues at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin, Thursday, June 24, 2021.

BERLIN — The United States and Germany launched a new initiative Thursday to stem an alarming rise in anti-Semitism and Holocaust denial around the world.

The two governments announced the start of a U.S.-Germany Holocaust Dialogue that seeks to reverse the trend that gained traction during the coronavirus pandemic amid a surge in political populism across Europe and the U.S. The dialogue creates a way to develop educational and messaging tools to teach youth and others about the crimes of Nazis and their collaborators.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas and several Holocaust survivors were present for the launch at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin. All cited links between Holocaust denial, revisionism and ignorance to growing anti-Semitism as well as to broader discrimination against minorities.

“Holocaust denial and other forms of anti-Semitism often go hand in hand with homophobia, xenophobia, racism, other hatred,” said Blinken, who is the step-son of a Holocaust survivor. “It’s also a rallying cry for those who seek to tear down our democracies, which we’ve seen in both our countries, (and) often a precursor to violence.”

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, left, and German Minister of Foreign Affairs Heiko Maas, center, listen as Holocaust Survivor Margot Friedlander, right, speaks during a ceremony for the launch of a U.S.-Germany Dialogue on Holocaust Issues at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin, Thursday, June 24, 2021.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, left, and German Minister of Foreign Affairs Heiko Maas, center, listen as Holocaust Survivor Margot Friedlander, right, speaks during a ceremony for the launch of a U.S.-Germany Dialogue on Holocaust Issues at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin, Thursday, June 24, 2021.
AP

Maas echoed Blinken’s comments, underscoring the importance of Germany — “the country of the perpetrators,” he said — taking in a leading role in the project.

“In recent years, we have seen anti-Semitism and racism eating into our society,” Maas said. “Just think of the Yellow Star badge as seen at demonstrations against COVID measures, of the torrent of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories on the Internet, of the attacks on synagogues and on Jewish people living in our countries, of the rioters in front of the Bundestag or the rampaging mob in the U.S. capital.”

With advancing age severely reducing the number of Holocaust survivors and dimming first-hand memories of the atrocities, Blinken and Maas said the new dialogue would produce innovative ways to educate younger generations about the Holocaust and the troubling buildup that led to the mass extermination of Jews and others in Nazi Germany and elsewhere.

“The Shoah was not a sharp fall, but a gradual descent into darkness,” Blinken said.

Holocaust Survivor Margot Friedlander steps away from the podium after speaking at a ceremony attended by U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken and German Minister of Foreign Affairs Heiko Maas for the launch of a U.S.-Germany Dialogue on Holocaust Issues at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin, Thursday, June 24, 2021.
Holocaust Survivor Margot Friedlander steps away from the podium after speaking at a ceremony attended by U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken and German Minister of Foreign Affairs Heiko Maas for the launch of a U.S.-Germany Dialogue on Holocaust Issues at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin, Thursday, June 24, 2021.
AP

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Miami Beach building collapse

Published

on

Miami Beach building collapse

More than 80 fire rescue units are responding to a partial building collapse this morning just north of Miami Beach and rescues are underway, officials said.

It was a high-rise condominium building and rescues of trapped residents were underway, reports CBS Miami.

A boy was pulled from the rubble of the collapsed condo building and was placed onto a stretcher, NBC 2 News reports.

According to CBS Miami, a man who was evacuated from a nearby hotel said, “The building – one of these huge buildings – gone! … The building – it’s gone. … The whole building’s gone. … Oh my gosh. This is the most insane thing I’ve ever seen in my life.”

It’s unclear if there are any injuries. Miami Beach police and fire departments are responding to the building in Surfside. 

Multiple police and fire departments from across Miami-Dade County are also assisting.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Man sentenced to a year in prison for buying endangered animal parts

Published

on

Man sentenced to a year in prison for buying endangered animal parts

A Florida man was sentenced to prison last week for buying parts of dead endangered animals.

Steven Phillip Griffin II, 36, was sentenced to a year and day in a federal lockup after pleading guilty in November to receiving and transporting endangered species in violation of the Endangered Species Act.

Griffin was busted after he met undercover wildlife agents in Texas in May 2019 to buy two Southern White rhino horns, four elephant ivory tusks, one African lion skull and three leopard skulls for $9,750, investigators said.

In the two years leading up to the meeting, Griffin communicated with an undercover agent to negotiate the deal, according to the plea agreement.

He told the agent he collects dead animal parts, including skulls and full skeletons and even sent pictures of his collection.

After the meeting, authorities operating with a search warrant seized a variety of animal parts, guns and ammunition from Griffin’s Tampa Bay home.

He also pleaded guilty to possessing firearms and ammunition as a convicted felon.

With Post wires

Continue Reading

Trending