Connect with us

Breaking News

Donald Trump: Official US government website goes down after ‘prank’ post says his presidency has ended | US News

Published

on

The message users saw after the US State Department website went down

The official US State Department website has gone down after a post thought to be a prank said Donald Trump’s term as president “ended” nine days early.

The Republican’s bio page on the site briefly showed a sentence saying “Donald J. Trump‘s term ended on 2021-01-11 19:48:41.”

While the post appeared about four hours earlier by US Eastern Time than the time given, it prompted an online frenzy amid speculation that Mr Trump may have stepped down before Joe Biden’s inauguration on 20 January.

Image:
The message users saw after the US State Department website went down

Reports later emerged that the message had been posted by a “disgruntled” employee of the department.

Two people familiar with the incident told the Associated Press that the department had launched an investigation.

They said that while the prospect that the entry was the work of a disgruntled employee could not be discounted, they had yet to reach any conclusions.

A similar message also appeared on Vice President Mike Pence’s page.

Neither the department nor the White House had commented on the post at the time of writing.

The post was visible on the website for less than an hour, before it was replaced with text saying: “We’re sorry, this site is currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again in a few moments.”

It came following days of widespread criticism over Mr Trump’s role in provoking a riot at the US Capitol by supporters challenging the certification of Joe Biden‘s victory in the November presidential election.

WASHINGTON DC, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, UNITED STATES - 2021/01/06: Rioters clash with police trying to enter Capitol building through the front doors. Rioters broke windows and breached the Capitol building in an attempt to overthrow the results of the 2020 election. Police used batons and tear gas grenades to eventually disperse the crowd. Rioters used metal bars and tear gas as well against the police. (Photo by Lev Radin/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images)
Image:
Trump supporters clash with police while trying to enter Capitol building

Ahead of the violence, Mr Trump had told his supporters to “fight much harder” – saying in a speech “you are allowed to go by very different rules”.

The breach of the Capitol had sent lawmakers into hiding and left five people dead, with dozens of people charged over the scenes and hundreds more cases are expected.

Despite overwhelming evidence of a fair election, Mr Trump has repeatedly challenged the validity of Mr Biden’s substantial victory.

President Donald Trump is pictured addressing supporters before violence broke out
Image:
Donald Trump is pictured addressing supporters before violence broke out

Democrats in Congress began a push on Monday to force the outgoing president from office, introducing an article of impeachment that accuses him of “inciting insurrection”.

Mr Trump is due to be officially replaced as president by Mr Biden on the day of the inauguration on 20 January.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

COVID-19: Holidays to Spain could be delayed ‘until end of summer’ | World News

Published

on

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez reportedly said 70% of the population will need to be vaccinated

Britons hoping to escape to Spain could have their holiday plans cancelled following reports the Spanish prime minister said the country would not welcome international tourists until the “end of summer”.

Speaking at a meeting of the World Tourism Organisation, Pedro Sanchez reportedly said he did not expect holidaymakers to visit Spain until nearly all of the population has been vaccinated.

He said the country would “progressively” prepare to welcome international tourists once 70% of Spain’s population had been vaccinated, which he expected to be by the end of this summer, local media sites including Euro Weekly News have reported.

Image:
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez reportedly said 70% of the population would need to be vaccinated

It will be a blow for the tourism sector, which closed its worst year since the 1970s in 2020 with revenues falling by more than 75%.

Spain reported its highest daily number of coronavirus infections yet on Thursday, recording 44,357 cases.

A further 404 deaths were also reported, taking the country’s total to 55,041 deaths and 2.5 million cases.

Spain is not the only popular holiday destination closing its doors to British tourists, as Portugal has said it will be suspending all flights to and from Britain from Saturday onwards.

Only repatriation flights will be allowed between the two countries, Prime Minister Antonio Costa told a news conference.

British tourists arrive at Gran Canaria airport
Image:
Spain is one of the most popular destinations for British tourists

Meanwhile, the UK itself has “considered” a full closure of its borders.

Environment Secretary George Eustice told Sky News ministers were keeping the idea “under review” and “can’t rule anything out for now” – although they believed the current restrictions were “sufficient”.

Asked whether people should be booking foreign holidays for this summer, Home Secretary Priti Patel refused to give an answer and said it was “far too early” to speculate on restrictions.

But some Britons have already begun booking their breaks, with holiday firms saying they had seen a spike in bookings from older people planning trips following the vaccine roll-out.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘We need to have a spring and summer season’

The UK’s largest tour operator TUI said half of bookings made so far have been made by over-50s.

Spain ranks among the most popular countries for people planning holidays this year.

A study by travel company Club Med showed it was the fifth most popular destination, behind the Maldives, Mexico, Thailand and Turkey.

Earlier, European Union leaders held an online summit to discuss potential coronavirus measures, including further border restrictions.

While a number of EU leaders said they would not rule out border closures, Spain and Greece backed an idea for a common approach to “vaccine passports”.

The system would allow people to travel if they had received the vaccine, although EU diplomats said the measure was premature as it is not yet clear if vaccinated people could still pass on the virus to others.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Donald Trump was fooled into talking to prankster pretending to be Piers Morgan, TV presenter says | UK News

Published

on

Donald and Melania Trump

A prankster pretending to be Piers Morgan managed to fool Donald Trump into thinking he was speaking to the real TV presenter.

It happened in October while the former president and Apprentice star was on Air Force One, Morgan said.

Mr Trump, who left the White House for the final time earlier this week, only realised he had been scammed when he rang the genuine Morgan the following day while on his way to Florida, the presenter revealed.

Image:
Donald and Melania Trump boarding Air Force One for the last time on Wednesday

Morgan told the BBC it was a “hilarious story”, adding: “Somebody had called him pretending to be me the day before and got through to him on Air Force One and they had a conversation with Trump thinking he was talking to me.”

It is not known who the prankster was.

The pair, who have known each other for more than a decade, fell out last year after Morgan, 55, criticised Mr Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

In 2008, Morgan won a series of Celebrity Apprentice hosted by the billionaire businessman.

He also interviewed him during his time in office for ITV‘s Good Morning Britain.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Donald Trump’s presidency in 6 minutes

Taking about Mr Trump’s time as US president, Morgan said the 74-year-old had been a “useless leader” because of his “character flaws – the chronic narcissism, the desire to make everything about himself”.

But Mr Trump is not the only prominent person to have been fooled by a prankster.

In March last year, Prince Harry was reportedly tricked into speaking about his decision to quit the royal family by Russian hoaxers posing as the environmental activist Greta Thunberg.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

China gold mine blast: Trapped workers must wait another two weeks for rescue | World News

Published

on

Medical workers in white protective suits are also on site

Rescuers trying to free a group of miners trapped hundreds of metres underground have said it may take another 15 days to drill and clear a route wide enough to reach them.

They are desperately trying to bring the workers back to the surface following an explosion at the Hushan gold mine in Qixia, Shandong province, in eastern China on 10 January.

A total of 22 miners became trapped after the blast blocked the mine entrance.

Image:
Medical workers in white protective suits are also on site as part of coronavirus measures

One is confirmed to have died from head injuries. Eleven are known to be alive and rescuers have made contact with 10 of them, while one is said to be in a nearby chamber. The remaining 10 are missing.

Holes have been drilled and used to pass food, medicine and other supplies to the group while they wait.

Rescuers are now drilling a new wider shaft to reach the 10 men in the middle section of the mine – more than 600m from the entrance – which they hope to use to bring the survivors to safety.

The mine shaft is blocked 350m below the surface by 70 tonnes of debris that extends down another 100m, the Yantai city government said in a statement on its social media account.

Other shafts are being drilled for communication and ventilation – to expel deadly fumes.

Rescuers work at the Hushan gold mine in Qixia, Shandong province, China, where a group of miners remain trapped underground
Image:
Rescuers say it may take another 15 days to reach the group of miners who remain trapped hundreds of metres underground

About 600 people are involved in the rescue, with as many as 25 ambulances waiting at the scene, as well as neurosurgeons, trauma specialists and psychologists.

Medical workers in white protective suits are also on site and have been taking people’s temperatures as part of COVID-19 precautions.

Mine managers have been detained for waiting more than 24 hours before reporting the incident, the cause of which is still not known.

Continue Reading

Trending