Connect with us

Breaking News

COVID-19: UK coronavirus deaths rise by 1,243 – with 45,533 new cases reported in 24 hours | UK News

Published

on

COVID-19: UK coronavirus deaths rise by 1,243 - with 45,533 new cases reported in 24 hours | UK News

The UK has recorded another 45,533 coronavirus cases and 1,243 deaths.

This is the second-highest number of fatalities in a single day.

It brings the total number of deaths within 28 days of a positive test to 83,203. The total number of cases in the UK has now reached 3,164,051, according to government data.

Speaking at the Downing Street briefing, Home Secretary Priti Patel said that 35,075 people were currently in hospital with COVID-19 – an increase of 22% when compared with a week ago.

Live COVID updates from the UK and around the world

On Monday, 46,169 more cases and 529 more deaths had been recorded.

It comes as Chris Hopson, the chief of NHS Providers, which represents all NHS trusts, warned peak demand on hospitals might not hit until next month.

He said it was now “pretty clear” the coronavirus infection rate “is not going to go down as quickly as it did” during the first lockdown last spring.

According to government figures, there were 32,070 COVID patients in English hospitals on Monday, with 3,055 in mechanical ventilation beds.

Meanwhile, the government is ramping up phase one of the vaccination programme in a bid to reduce the pressure on frontline services.

It hopes to vaccinate the 15 million people in the first four priority groups on the vaccine schedule by 15 February.

This includes frontline health workers, those in care homes and the over-70s.

Under government plans everyone over aged over 50 will have been offered a first vaccine dose by the spring.

So far, more than 2.6 million vaccine jabs have been given to over 2.4 million people. This is up from almost 2.3 million on Monday.

Some 84,187 first doses have been given in Northern Ireland, on top of the 2,080,280 in England, 91,239 in Wales and 175,942 in Scotland, to give a UK total of 2,431,648.

So far, 412,167 second doses have been administered in the UK, including 393,925 in England, 97 in Wales, 15,288 in Northern Ireland and 2,857 in Scotland.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

COVID-19: Holidays to Spain could be delayed ‘until end of summer’ | World News

Published

on

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez reportedly said 70% of the population will need to be vaccinated

Britons hoping to escape to Spain could have their holiday plans cancelled following reports the Spanish prime minister said the country would not welcome international tourists until the “end of summer”.

Speaking at a meeting of the World Tourism Organisation, Pedro Sanchez reportedly said he did not expect holidaymakers to visit Spain until nearly all of the population has been vaccinated.

He said the country would “progressively” prepare to welcome international tourists once 70% of Spain’s population had been vaccinated, which he expected to be by the end of this summer, local media sites including Euro Weekly News have reported.

Image:
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez reportedly said 70% of the population would need to be vaccinated

It will be a blow for the tourism sector, which closed its worst year since the 1970s in 2020 with revenues falling by more than 75%.

Spain reported its highest daily number of coronavirus infections yet on Thursday, recording 44,357 cases.

A further 404 deaths were also reported, taking the country’s total to 55,041 deaths and 2.5 million cases.

Spain is not the only popular holiday destination closing its doors to British tourists, as Portugal has said it will be suspending all flights to and from Britain from Saturday onwards.

Only repatriation flights will be allowed between the two countries, Prime Minister Antonio Costa told a news conference.

British tourists arrive at Gran Canaria airport
Image:
Spain is one of the most popular destinations for British tourists

Meanwhile, the UK itself has “considered” a full closure of its borders.

Environment Secretary George Eustice told Sky News ministers were keeping the idea “under review” and “can’t rule anything out for now” – although they believed the current restrictions were “sufficient”.

Asked whether people should be booking foreign holidays for this summer, Home Secretary Priti Patel refused to give an answer and said it was “far too early” to speculate on restrictions.

But some Britons have already begun booking their breaks, with holiday firms saying they had seen a spike in bookings from older people planning trips following the vaccine roll-out.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘We need to have a spring and summer season’

The UK’s largest tour operator TUI said half of bookings made so far have been made by over-50s.

Spain ranks among the most popular countries for people planning holidays this year.

A study by travel company Club Med showed it was the fifth most popular destination, behind the Maldives, Mexico, Thailand and Turkey.

Earlier, European Union leaders held an online summit to discuss potential coronavirus measures, including further border restrictions.

While a number of EU leaders said they would not rule out border closures, Spain and Greece backed an idea for a common approach to “vaccine passports”.

The system would allow people to travel if they had received the vaccine, although EU diplomats said the measure was premature as it is not yet clear if vaccinated people could still pass on the virus to others.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Donald Trump was fooled into talking to prankster pretending to be Piers Morgan, TV presenter says | UK News

Published

on

Donald and Melania Trump

A prankster pretending to be Piers Morgan managed to fool Donald Trump into thinking he was speaking to the real TV presenter.

It happened in October while the former president and Apprentice star was on Air Force One, Morgan said.

Mr Trump, who left the White House for the final time earlier this week, only realised he had been scammed when he rang the genuine Morgan the following day while on his way to Florida, the presenter revealed.

Image:
Donald and Melania Trump boarding Air Force One for the last time on Wednesday

Morgan told the BBC it was a “hilarious story”, adding: “Somebody had called him pretending to be me the day before and got through to him on Air Force One and they had a conversation with Trump thinking he was talking to me.”

It is not known who the prankster was.

The pair, who have known each other for more than a decade, fell out last year after Morgan, 55, criticised Mr Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

In 2008, Morgan won a series of Celebrity Apprentice hosted by the billionaire businessman.

He also interviewed him during his time in office for ITV‘s Good Morning Britain.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Donald Trump’s presidency in 6 minutes

Taking about Mr Trump’s time as US president, Morgan said the 74-year-old had been a “useless leader” because of his “character flaws – the chronic narcissism, the desire to make everything about himself”.

But Mr Trump is not the only prominent person to have been fooled by a prankster.

In March last year, Prince Harry was reportedly tricked into speaking about his decision to quit the royal family by Russian hoaxers posing as the environmental activist Greta Thunberg.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

China gold mine blast: Trapped workers must wait another two weeks for rescue | World News

Published

on

Medical workers in white protective suits are also on site

Rescuers trying to free a group of miners trapped hundreds of metres underground have said it may take another 15 days to drill and clear a route wide enough to reach them.

They are desperately trying to bring the workers back to the surface following an explosion at the Hushan gold mine in Qixia, Shandong province, in eastern China on 10 January.

A total of 22 miners became trapped after the blast blocked the mine entrance.

Image:
Medical workers in white protective suits are also on site as part of coronavirus measures

One is confirmed to have died from head injuries. Eleven are known to be alive and rescuers have made contact with 10 of them, while one is said to be in a nearby chamber. The remaining 10 are missing.

Holes have been drilled and used to pass food, medicine and other supplies to the group while they wait.

Rescuers are now drilling a new wider shaft to reach the 10 men in the middle section of the mine – more than 600m from the entrance – which they hope to use to bring the survivors to safety.

The mine shaft is blocked 350m below the surface by 70 tonnes of debris that extends down another 100m, the Yantai city government said in a statement on its social media account.

Other shafts are being drilled for communication and ventilation – to expel deadly fumes.

Rescuers work at the Hushan gold mine in Qixia, Shandong province, China, where a group of miners remain trapped underground
Image:
Rescuers say it may take another 15 days to reach the group of miners who remain trapped hundreds of metres underground

About 600 people are involved in the rescue, with as many as 25 ambulances waiting at the scene, as well as neurosurgeons, trauma specialists and psychologists.

Medical workers in white protective suits are also on site and have been taking people’s temperatures as part of COVID-19 precautions.

Mine managers have been detained for waiting more than 24 hours before reporting the incident, the cause of which is still not known.

Continue Reading

Trending