Connect with us

Entertainment

Christina Milian replacing Naya Rivera in ‘Step Up’ on Starz

Published

on

Christina Milian replacing Naya Rivera in 'Step Up' on Starz

Christina Milian is stepping up.

The Grammy-nominated singer and actress will replace “Glee” alum Naya Rivera, who drowned at age 33 last July, in the Starz series “Step Up.”

“I am so excited to join the ‘Step Up’ family,” said Milian (“The Oath”) in a statement. “I know I have massive shoes to fill. Naya was incredible. I hope to honor Naya, her family, friends and fans with a great performance.”

In Season 3, Milian, 39, will take over the role of Collette, which was played by Rivera in the series’ first two seasons

“Naya’s death was a terrible loss to our world that we will, frankly, never stop mourning,” creator and executive producer Holly Sorensen said. “It was almost impossible to consider there could be someone so graceful and loving who could both help us honor our loss, while also bringing a deep reservoir of talent to our show, in so many areas. Christina is an exceptional human and a dazzling performer and we are so happy she has joined our family.” 

The “Step Up” series — about a performing art school in Atlanta — was inspired by the film of the same title. It also stars three-time Grammy-winning singer and actor Ne-Yo, who plays Sage Odom, the founder of the show’s High Water Performing Art School and also Collette’s love and business partner.

“There is no replacing Naya. Let’s get that straight. Her spirit lives on in our memories and every part of what this show is and will be,” Ne-Yo added in his own statement. “Christina has big shoes to fill and she knows it, which speaks to her poise and respect as a person and an artist. I’m more than certain of her ability to bring an energy and light to this character that Naya’s fans as well as the rest of the world will love. We’ve welcomed Christina with absolute open arms and have rallied around her with love and support. I’m excited and can’t wait for the world to see this!”

Rivera — whose $2.69 million LA home was sold just last month — tragically died in Southern California’s Lake Piru last summer while on a pontoon boat excursion with her 5-year-old son Josey, who was 4 at the time. In December, her former “Glee” co-stars launched a GoFundMe campaign — which has raised nearly $118,000 — to benefit Alexandria House, a nonprofit she supported that provides safe housing for women and children in the process of moving from emergency shelter to economic stability and permanent housing.

Executive producers for the series include Sorensen, Adam Shankman and Jennifer Gibgot, as well as original “Step Up” film stars Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

The meaning of ‘New Amsterdam’ co-star Tyler Labine’s tattoos

Published

on

By

The meaning of 'New Amsterdam' co-star Tyler Labine's tattoos

“New Amsterdam” springs back into action Tuesday night — with the pandemic and psychiatrist Dr. Ignatius “Iggy” Frome (Tyler Labine) at the forefront.

The NBC hospital drama’s Season 3 premiere, delayed due to the industrywide shutdown, opens with a five-minute (silent) montage dramatically relating how the pandemic impacted the New Amsterdam medical staff, both mentally and physically — followed by hospital chief Dr. Max Goodwin (series star Ryan Eggold) scrambling to solve the season’s first medical crisis after a plane crashes into the East River. Janet Montgomery, Freema Agyeman and Anupam Kher are back as Drs. Bloom, Sharpe and Kapoor.

While Iggy performs his professional duty, treating the doomed flight’s pilot, he’s also wrestling with long-repressed personal demons — an eating disorder, which will eventually bubble to the surface and mirrors Labine’s psychological journey.

In fact, the story arc was his idea.

“There were seeds planted [in previous seasons] with Iggy’s weird behavior around food,” said Labine, 42. “He’d be eating a Crudite and then eating Gummy Bears and pigging out on chocolate bars and then talking about some juicing diet.

“Those stories are all true and are all from my life,” he said. “As a person who’s struggled with an eating disorder and body dysmorphia my whole life…I felt a little irresponsible, at some point, by having Iggy suffer from these, like, ‘What are you guys playing at?’” he says of the show’s writers.

“So I wrote [showrunner] David Schulner a big e-mail and said, ‘I don’t think we should play at something that’s so serious to a lot of people unless we’re really going to go for it.’ I also talked to David Foster, one of our writers, who’s a doctor. And to their credit they came to me and said, ‘What’s the story you would like to tell? It’s interesting to us.’

“I talked with them and with [executive producer] Shaun Cassidy and was on the phone for a couple of hours and we basically decided that if we’re going to represent eating disorders in men, which we never see, we should do it.

“So it became very clear for me what the next arc for Iggy was going to be.”

In next week’s second episode, viewers will see how Iggy’s eating issues relate to his childhood — particularly to his relationship with his father, which cuts close with Labine.

“It’s obviously my story and it was really hard for me to see that written in a script,” he said. “It made me really look at it differently and realize that a lot of people have these stories [of] body issues and body-shaming. And it comes from a place of love. I don’t think my dad is a bad guy. I love him. He just had some…bad information given to him when he was a kid from his dad, and it became an epidemic of your worth being caught up in how much you weigh.

“I don’t blame my dad. I did for a long time,” he said. “He’s a huge fan of the show and I haven’t told him about that episode and I know when he watches it he’s gonna be like, ‘That sounds pretty familiar.’ I should probably tell him before it airs.”

Labine said that Iggy’s storyline has been extremely “cathartic” for him.

“I’ve had huge breakthroughs with both of my parents and I have tattoos on my biceps that commemorate my experience on what we’ve shot on the show and telling these amazing stories. One [tattoo] says ‘All the Good’ and the other says ‘All the Bad.’ I just had this unification happen to me. I’d been walking around with all these shadows and demons for years, trying to extricate them or pretend they’re not there. And finally, in and around shooting some of this stuff and talking with my therapist I had this moment where it was like, ‘This is who I am.’

“And it’s f—ing cool.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Snoop Dogg accidentally left Twitch live streaming for 7 hours

Published

on

By

Snoop Dogg accidentally left Twitch live streaming for 7 hours

Snoop Dogg has left the chat.

What began for the 49-year-old icon as a chance to “sit back, relax and chill” while playing EA Sports’ Madden NFL ’21 live on Twitch ended in a “rage-quit” only 14 minutes into the game, as first reported by PC Gamer.

Dubbed “Sit Back, Relax and Chill it’s a vibe in here,” the stream was expected to be a laidback broadcast with the perennially-stoned celeb. But when a third touchdown brought the score to 21-0, sealing his inevitable defeat, the “Drop It Like It’s Hot” rapper did just that — threw off his gear and stormed out of the game.

“Look at this s- -t. F- -k,” he is seen venting from the bottom-right corner of the frame, according to SportBible’s report. “I came in this room and everything went bad.”

The brief “chill” session gave way to a seven-hour livestream of Snoop’s computer chair, and a black screen reading “NO SIGNAL” over the gameplay view.

“F- -k this s- -t,” he yells as he turns off the game. Eventually, about halfway through hour seven, Tha Doggfather re-enters the room to realize he’s still live, and ends the stream.

Fans were undeterred in the 17-time Grammy winner’s absence, thanks in part to a killer playlist featuring the likes of James Brown and Roberta Flack, according to PC Gamer. The video has since endured with a highly respectable 361,000 views on the site since Sunday — despite the stream peaking at the beginning of the lengthy recording.

“It really was a vibe in here,” reported PC Gamer writer Jody Macgregor.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

I was attacked by ‘Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighters’

Published

on

By

I was attacked by 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighters'

Ivan Busheski, the nightlife guru behind the infamous lockdown-defying Soho party penthouse, has now brought his vivid brand of party drama to the Lower East Side.

Busheski and four others were charged with multiple offenses on New Year’s Eve when the city sheriff shut down an “illegal bottle club” at their 177 Prince Street loft — only to have robbers storm the place with a gun and knife later that month.

Now he claims he was attacked by a group of “Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighters” bent on “[breaking] all my bones [and taking] my eyeballs” while he was finishing up his shift at La Boite, where he’s also a manager, on early Friday morning.

“All my security guys are inside, escorting people, making sure everything is closed [when] all of a sudden, I see like three undercover cops and [State Liquor Authority Agents] ready to shut me down. And then all of a sudden like five guys started running towards the door as the cops did nothing. I was so confused,” Busheski, who was standing inside the closed door of the hotspot at the time of the alleged attack, told Page Six. “If I would’ve gone outside, they were going to break all my bones, take my eyeballs out while the police did nothing.”

Busheski claims the gang threw a brick into the glass door as they ran towards him.

“They tried to get over me to get inside. They were tall and in formation like a Navy SEAL and the cops were watching from behind,” he said. “These guys were running, smashing the door and the police were too relaxed. They could have intervened and stopped everything.”

Police did eventually arrest someone, but he did not press charges because, “I want to know what’s going on. I have 30 days [to press charges],” he said.

The NYPD told us that “police observed a male throw a brick at [La Boite’s] window breaking it and gave chase,” and that they took a man into custody. They said he was issued a summons for disorderly conduct.

The cops also said that “police, along with agents of the New York State Liquor Authority observed more than 50 individuals inside of the location, many not wearing masks or practicing social distancing.”

Busheski was accused of throwing illegal parties at the venue last spring when it was named Omar’s at La Boite and helmed by nightlife impresario Omar Hernandez.

Busheski denied he was defying COVID lockdown orders by hosting the parties and Hernandez distanced himself from the brand and took his name off the hot spot.

Busheski told us that he had been raided 11 times at his Soho penthouse, where the armed robbery took place.

He says he is starting to believe that the attacks are a conspiracy to shut him down.

“Is this ever going to stop? They attack me so much, but this wasn’t like kids on the streets. These [people] are professionals,” he said.

After the attack on Thursday night, he says police and the SLA investigated the restaurant.

“They were checking our liquor license,” he claimed, alleging that officers yelled, “We’re going to arrest you.”

“One of the guys — major police guy — said, ‘We’re going to get this motherf—ker somehow,’” he alleged, “Another cop was in the corner googling me. I was feeling dizzy and my finger was broken. I asked them 10 times to call 911. They tried to deny me medical assistance intentionally,” he said.

The NYPD told us, “According to the NYPD supervisor who was present, at no time did Ivan Busheski, have visible injuries or say he’d been assaulted.”

Continue Reading

Trending