Connect with us

Entertainment

CBS sitcom ‘Mom’ to end with Season 8

Published

on

CBS sitcom 'Mom' to end with Season 8

The popular CBS sitcom “Mom,” starring Emmy-winner Allison Janney, will end after the current eighth season.

Chuck Lorre’s comedy about a group of tightknit addicts — including Janney’s lead character, Bonnie — will conclude with the May 6 season finale, which will serve as the series ender, according to Variety.

The move comes after Anna Faris, who plays Bonnie’s daughter Christy, shockingly left the series right before production began on Season 8 in September.

“For the past eight years, we’ve had the great honor to bring these wonderful characters to life, sharing their struggles and triumphs with millions of viewers every week,” said executive producers Lorre, Gemma Baker and Nick Bakay in a statement.

“From the beginning, we set out to tell stories about recovery from alcoholism and addiction that are rarely portrayed in a network comedy series. Whether it was the emotional reactions of the live audience on tape night inside Stage 20, or discussions at the White House regarding the opioid crisis, or the personal stories we continue to receive on social media, we take great pride in knowing MOM has positively impacted so many lives. We are forever grateful to our brilliant cast and guest stars, wonderful writers, and amazing crew for going on this journey with us.”

CBS Entertainment President Kelly Kahl added that the show, produced by Warner Bros. Television, “has touched people’s lives by sensitively tackling weighty yet relatable topics, with a perfect, deft touch.”

On Tuesday’s episode of Ellen DeGeneres’ eponymous talk show, Janney, 61, told viewers that “it was very odd” not having Faris, 44, on the show anymore, adding, “She’s very missed. Anna is missed and her character on the show is missed. And we’re just happy that she’s doing what she wants to do now and we’re happy even more so that we’re able to still tell these stories about these great women and recovery.

“And I think there’s some really wonderful characters that have been established,” she continued. “And people love the show so we’re gonna keep telling the stories as long as we can.”

In a statement announcing her departure last year, Faris called her seven years on the show “some of the most fulfilling and rewarding of my career.”

The show’s regular ensemble cast also includes Jaime Pressly, Mimi Kennedy, Beth Hall, Kristen Johnston and William Fichtner. Over the years, a number of other performers were featured as recurring and guest stars, including Yvette Nicole Brown, Ellen Burstyn, Kristin Chenoweth, Beverly D’Angelo, Patti LuPone, Joe Manganiello, Emily Osment, Kevin Pollak, Richard Schiff, June Squibb, Octavia Spencer, French Stewart (originally a series regular), Kathleen Turner, Steven Weber, Bradley Whitford and Rainn Wilson.

The series finale will air at 9 p.m. Thursday, May 6, on CBS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Peter Yarrow accused of raping underage girl in NYC in 1969

Published

on

By

Peter Yarrow accused of raping underage girl in NYC in 1969

Folk singer Peter Yarrow has been accused in a new lawsuit of raping an underage girl in a Manhattan hotel room in 1969.

The accusations were lodged against Yarrow, the founding member of legendary ’60s trio Peter, Paul and Mary, in a Wednesday Manhattan Supreme Court suit that was brought under the Child Victims Act.

Before the alleged rape, Yarrow met his accuser, who was a fan of his music, several times at his band’s performances, the suit says.

He then “took an interest in her,” acting what in what the minor thought was “paternal way,” according to the suit.

But the suit alleges that in actuality the folk icon was “grooming” her.

She eventually ran away from her Minnesota home and met Yarrow at a Lower East Side hotel, where he allegedly raped her, the suit says.

The following day, Yarrow bought the minor a plane ticket to Minnesota and told her to leave, the suit alleges.

The accuser “has been suffering the effects of Yarrow’s rape ever since,” according to the suit.

She is seeking compensatory and punitive damages.

Yarrow has a past criminal conviction of “taking indecent liberties” with a 14-year-old girl in a Washington, DC, hotel room in 1970.

Messages seeking comment from Yarrow and his accuser’s lawyers were not immediately returned.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘Coming 2 America’ to premiere at Queens drive-in, not in theaters

Published

on

By

COMING 2 AMERICA

This flick isn’t coming to movie theaters anytime soon, but it is coming to a field in Queens.

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, “Coming 2 America” — the highly anticipated sequel to Eddie Murphy’s 1988 cult classic “Coming to America” — will not premiere in theaters. It instead will be released exclusively to Amazon Prime Video and, for one night only, will screen to 200 cars at Flushing Meadows Corona Park. 

“‘Coming to America’ is the quintessential, iconic Queens film, and we are beyond thrilled to host one of the only screenings of its sequel, ‘Coming 2 America,’ right here in the film’s backyard,” said Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. in a press release. The new film again stars Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall, as well as Tracy Morgan, Leslie Jones and Wesley Snipes.

The 6:30 p.m. March 5 screening coincides with the flick’s video release and will feature free food, Amazon Studios merch and an introduction by Richards. Tickets are free with RSVP but have already sold out. 

Eddie Murphy in “Coming 2 America.”

Courtesy of Amazon Studios

COMING 2 AMERICA

Arsenio Hall and Eddie Murphy in “Coming 2 America.”

Courtesy of Amazon Studios

Up Next

Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom have been settling into their…


The film kicks off the second season of programming for Queens Drive-In, a collaboration between nonprofit Rooftop Films and Queens’ Museum of the Moving Image and the New York Hall of Science. The drive-in, one of many that materialized amidst the ongoing pandemic, hosted more than 80 sold-out COVID-safe events last fall and summer, including a number of world premieres. (Indeed, amid a dearth of other safe live entertainment options, NYC’s drive-ins became the hottest ticket in town during the pandemic.)

Programming for this season currently extends through April and includes screenings of “The Muppets Take Manhattan,” “The Shining” and an assortment of themed double features, including “Thelma & Louise,” “Desperately Seeking Susan,” “Singin’ in the Rain” and “Magic Mike XXL.” Tickets start at $35 per car (which can contain up to five passengers), with discounts available for members of the affiliated organizations.

Queens Drive-In at the New York Hall of Science in Queens, New York City

The Queens Drive-In has announced a second season of programming.

Andrew Kelly/REUTERS

FEATURES: Queens Drive-In, handout art for Coming 2 America screening

From the Queens Drive-In’s first season of programming.

Maike Schulz

Up Next

Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom have been settling into their…


Continue Reading

Entertainment

Billie Eilish reveals what makes her ‘wanna jump off a cliff’

Published

on

By

Billie Eilish reveals what makes her 'wanna jump off a cliff'

Billie Eilish’s biggest fear is being a “Bad Guy” to her fans.

“I wanted to be the artist that I would want to be a fan of,” Eilish, 19, revealed on the “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” Tuesday night. “The idea that somebody could meet me and have a bad experience makes me wanna jump off a cliff, like, seriously. I want everyone that I come in contact with to feel completely just the highest high that they could possibly feel.”

The alt-pop princess, whose documentary, “Billie Eilish: The World’s a Little Blurry” premieres on Apple TV+ Friday, also reflected on her year in quarantine after canceling her “Where Do We Go?” world tour after just three shows last March. 

“It felt, um, the same as it felt for everybody else. It was so weird,” said Eilish. “Like, none of the year went at all the way I thought [it would], and … I really think that’s for everyone, obviously. I think I’m just glad that I had the year before that to really have a moment.”

But the five-time Grammy winner found a silver lining on lockdown.

“The year sucked, and if I could go back and change it, I would, but at the same time, I’ve gotten more time off than I’ve ever ever ever ever had,” said Eilish. “And of course I think that goes for everyone. But that was true for me after two weeks of it. Two weeks already at the beginning of quarantine was the most time I had off in, like, four years.”

Eilish also found the creative space to make the much-anticipated follow-up to her debut album, 2019’s “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?”

“I just don’t think I would have made the same album or even the album at all if it weren’t for COVID,” she said. “That doesn’t mean it’s, like, about COVID at all. It’s just that when things are different in your life, you’re different. It’s just how it is. I have to thank COVID for that — and that’s about it.”

Continue Reading

Trending