Connect with us

Breaking News

Cancun relaxes COVID-19 rules ahead of spring break travel

Published

on

Cancun relaxes COVID-19 rules ahead of spring break travel

Unlike some spring-break hot spots in Florida, Cancun is actually easing its COVID-19 restrictions.

With spring-break travel fast approaching, popular tourist destinations in Mexico like Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum are raising capacity limits from 30% to 60% at hotels, restaurants and beaches, Quintana Roo government officials announced on Twitter. Attractions and group tours will also be allowed to operate at 60% capacity. 

Nightclubs and bars will stay closed, the guidance says.

Travelers visiting Mexico also need to register with the government online and show proof of registration via a QR code received once they arrive. Face masks must be worn at all times inside the country’s restaurants, hotels and at airports. U.S. travelers will also need to present a negative COVID-19 test upon departure for re-entry into the states.

Meanwhile, Florida officials in popular destinations like Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale were taking almost the opposite approach, implementing new restrictions to slow the spread of COVID-19. South Beach imposed a curfew between midnight and 6 a.m., prohibited alcohol consumption on beaches, which were also subject to limited-capacity requirements, among other things. And in Fort Lauderdale, Mayor Steve Gellar said residents and visitors can expect more law enforcement at busy areas, with social distancing and mask-wearing mandates being heavily enforced. 

Mexico, meanwhile, has been experiencing a tourism bump as of late, with nearly half of those tourists coming from the U.S. as of January, the Associated Press reported.

There were 182,815 COVID-19 deaths in Mexico, compared to 505,944 deaths in the U.S. as of Thursday, according to data from John’s Hopkins University.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Sole survivor of South Carolina shooting by Phillip Adams dies

Published

on

Sole survivor of South Carolina shooting by Phillip Adams dies

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A sixth person has died following a shooting earlier this week at the hands of a former NFL player who also killed four members of a South Carolina family, local officials said Saturday.

Robert Shook, 38, an air conditioning technician from Cherryville, North Carolina, has died from injuries sustained in the Wednesday shooting while he was working at the home, according to York County Coroner Sabrina Gast.

Authorities say Phillip Adams killed Rock Hill physician Robert Lesslie; his wife, Barbara; two of their grandchildren, 9-year-old Adah Lesslie and 5-year-old Noah Lesslie; and another air conditioning technician, James Lewis, who had been working with Shook at the Lesslie home.

Adams later shot himself to death. His brain is now being examined for possible degenerative disease that has been shown to cause violent mood swings and other cognitive disorders in some athletes and members of the military.

Adams, 32, played in 78 NFL games over six seasons for six teams. He joined the 49ers in 2010 as a seventh-round draft pick out of South Carolina State, and though he rarely started, he went on to play for New England, Seattle, Oakland and the New York Jets before finishing his career with the Atlanta Falcons in 2015.

As a rookie, Adams suffered a severe ankle injury and never played for the 49ers again. Later, with the Raiders, he had two concussions over three games in 2012.

Whether he suffered long-lasting concussion-related injuries wasn’t immediately clear. Adams would not have been eligible for testing as part of a broad settlement between the league and former players over such injuries, because he hadn’t retired by 2014.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

UK won’t welcome Prince Harry home: Brexit leader Nigel Farage

Published

on

UK won't welcome Prince Harry home: Brexit leader Nigel Farage

At least one Brit doesn’t think Prince Harry should rush home for his beloved grandfather’s funeral.

Brexit leader Nigel Farage yanked up his welcome mat in a tweet slamming Harry and wife Meghan Markle for their terse statement on the death of Prince Philip Friday at age 99.

“For a couple that do public emotion as a career, this third person and one sentence statement shows their contempt for this great man and the monarchy,” Farage tweeted Friday.

“The British public will not welcome Harry and Meghan back, even for the funeral,” he added.

Buckingham Palace confirmed Saturday that Prince Harry, 36, will indeed make the trip home for the first time in a little more than a year to attend Prince Philip’s funeral — and that Markle won’t be with him.

The heavily pregnant Markle, 39, who is due to give birth to the couple’s daughter this summer, will stay home in California on her doctor’s advice — even though she flew to New York for a baby shower while seven months pregnant with son Archie in February 2019.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Phone found laying on the bottom of lake for a year still works

Published

on

Phone found laying on the bottom of lake for a year still works

Somebody called in a miracle

A man who dropped his phone into a lake in Taiwan while paddle-boarding a year ago has successfully recovered it — and it still works thanks to its waterproof protective casing, the BBC reported Friday.

The man, identified only as Chen, thought his phone was gone forever when it sank to the bottom of Sun Moon Lake. A severe drought in Taiwan has dried up the iconic waterhole and Chen’s phone was found by a worker in the mud.

The drought, Taiwan’s worst in 56 years, has been less fun for most other residents however as the government has imposed severe water rationing.

Continue Reading

Trending