Connect with us

Sports

Audio surfaces of chaotic arrest of ex-Giant Chad Wheeler

Published

on

Audio surfaces of chaotic arrest of ex-Giant Chad Wheeler

Chilling audio has surfaced of last month’s chaotic arrest of troubled ex-New York Giants lineman Chad Wheeler.

Three police officers reportedly had to pile atop the hulking lineman Jan. 22 and use a Taser to get him into custody after he allegedly choked his girlfriend unconscious.

Several police reports obtained by TMZ Sports detailed the struggle between cops in Kent, Wash., and the ex-NFL offensive lineman during the alleged attack at his girlfriend’s apartment, which left the woman with a dislocated arm, she told police.

The outlet has now obtained the police body cam footage in which cops struggle to subdue the 6-foot-7, 315-pound Wheeler.

The video starts with police kicking down the door to the home where Wheeler was living with then-galpal Alleah Taylor. The girlfriend had called 911, claiming Wheeler had beaten and strangled her, according to the recording.

Once cops burst into the home, the six-minute video goes dark because authorities redacted the footage for “various legal reasons,” TMZ said.

The disturbing audio paints a free for all where amped-up cops struggle to contain the brawny 27-year-old athlete, a USC product.

“Put your f–king hands behind your back,” one officer screams. “If you don’t comply, you’re going to get hurt.”

Cops can be heard warning Wheeler, who initially sounds calm, to stop fighting back.

“You’re gonna get f–kin’ tased if you don’t knock this s–t off right f–king now, you understand me?”

At one point, a Taser can be heard going off, and at another, Wheeler says to the cops, “Please don’t shoot me.”

A distraught Wheeler can be heard screaming to his ex, “Alleah, please … Alleah … please I love you … Please stop … I love you … Alleah.”

“You’re gonna get the f–k knocked out of you, so knock it the f–k off,” threatens one cop.

Wheeler’s concilliatory response of, “Please, I’m sorry, I’ll do whatever you guys want,” did not impress cops. One replies: “Then stop f–king fighting!”

Kent police were tipped off that the suspect in the domestic attack — which Wheeler has described as the result of a “manic episode” — was the NFL lineman, TMZ reported.

Cops eventually took Wheeler into custody, but called for a jail van to take him to the police station because they feared his sizable frame wouldn’t fit in a standard police cruiser, according to the TMZ report.

Wheeler, who formerly played for the New York Giants in 2017 and 2018, has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree domestic violence assault, domestic violence unlawful imprisonment and resisting arrest in the alleged attack.

Wheeler was cut by the Seattle Seahawks on Jan. 27.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Donald Douglas, longtime PSAL executive director, dead at 58

Published

on

By

Donald Douglas, longtime PSAL executive director, dead at 58

Donald Douglas, the longtime executive director of the Public School Athletic League, died late Friday night, according to friend and PSAL colleague Dwayne Burnett.

Douglas was 58, according to his Facebook page.

Douglas died of a heart attack, while vacationing on the island of Jamaica, after a bad fall eventually caused a blood clot to form, according to Burnett. The Brooklyn native and Bushwick High School alum had retired this week from his post. He was PSAL director since 2004, when he was promoted from deputy director, and spent more than 35 years working for the New York City Department of Education.

Continue Reading

Sports

Don’t make this catcher mistake

Published

on

By

Don’t make this catcher mistake

The 2021 fantasy baseball draft season is upon us, and with its arrival comes a variety of strategies to test out and employ.

Drafting with position scarcity in mind is something we see every year, and though the catcher position is routinely linked to the strategy, the belief that you need to draft one of the top backstops early is a mistake. If you have been leaning in that direction, it’s time to change gears before you fall over.

In fantasy football, position scarcity has people drafting No. 1-ranked tight end Travis Kelce early because, in securing him, you are obtaining a significant advantage over your opposition. His production dwarfs that of anyone else at his position and on a 10-man roster in a weekly matchup, the impact is huge. The same cannot be said regarding the No. 1 catcher, J.T. Realmuto.

There is plenty to love about Realmuto from a fantasy perspective. His three-year average has him as a .273 hitter with 25 home runs and 81 RBIs. The numbers are strong, but does drafting him in the fourth or fifth round over a 40-homer Pete Alonso or a 200-strikeout Lance Lynn still give you an advantage? Not when you understand it’s just one-fourteenth of your overall team production or when you see what you can get at the position several rounds later.

Casting aside 2020 data, we can look at a number of backstops who not only hit 20 or more home runs, but also hit .270 or better in 2019 and can be obtained at a much lower cost. Willson Contreras, Mitch Garver, Christian Vazquez and Omar Narvaez immediately stand out.

JT Realmuto
JT Realmuto
Getty Images

You also have players such as Yasmani Grandal and Roberto Perez, who matched the power, but fell short on the batting average, or James McCann and Travis d’Arnaud, who posted strong averages, but hit for slightly less power. That’s already eight players who can provide similar numbers at a fraction of the cost, and we’re just scratching the surface.

If Realmuto was a .300-30-100 player, the conversation would certainly be different. He’s a great player but he isn’t performing at a level that leaves your opposition in the dust. If his production can be matched 10 rounds later, you’re better off using that early pick on an elite arm or a bigger bat at another position. Leave your catchers for later.

Howard Bender is the VP of operations and head of content at FantasyAlarm.com. Follow him on Twitter @rotobuzzguy and catch him on the award-winning “Fantasy Alarm Radio Show” on the SiriusXM fantasy sports channel weekdays from 6-8 p.m. Go to FantasyAlarm.com for all your fantasy football advice.

Continue Reading

Sports

Mets star Pete Alonso opens up on why he quit social media

Published

on

By

Mets star Pete Alonso opens up on why he quit social media

PORT ST. LUCIE — Pete Alonso wasn’t the only big voice in the Mets organization to deactivate his social media accounts over the offseason.

But the first baseman going dark on Twitter and Instagram had nothing to do with the aftermath of a stock market saga, which was the reason owner Steve Cohen ditched Twitter, and everything to do with a new outlook on life away from a screen.

“I think that real life is just absolutely fantastic and for me, I think life is a blessing, it’s something that I feel like a lot of people, sometimes including myself, take for granted,” Alonso said Friday after a workout. “And I want to spend every second soaking in every single day because every single new day is a blessing, and I feel like especially in wake of what happened last year, there’s a lot of things that I feel like were taken for granted.

“In 2019, if you see everybody wearing this mask, you kind of scratch your head and just be like, ‘Whoa, what’s going on?’ But there’s a lot of new social norms that are in place now that we took for granted. I think for me, I just want to be appreciative of every single day. I want to live in real life.”

Alonso had been one of the more active Mets interacting with fans through social media, especially during his Rookie of the Year season in 2019, when he adopted “#LFGM” as the team’s new rallying cry.

Though he will no longer be in touch with fans online, Alonso is very much looking forward to welcoming them back in person at Citi Field this season. After playing at an empty stadium in 2020 because of COVID-19 restrictions, the Mets are expected to have at least a portion of Citi Field open to fans when the 2021 season begins.

“Playing on TV is absolutely fantastic, but being there in person where one swing of the bat or making a diving play or striking somebody out, you can make that many people in person smile, stand, clap, cheer, yell even just by doing something,” Alonso said, with a big smile breaking out. “Once I heard 40,000 people at Citi Field go absolutely bonkers, that’s an adrenaline rush that I’m addicted to.

“I can’t wait until it’s packed out again like that. If it’s 25 percent, 30 percent, I can’t wait to hear people cheer again in person. For me, it’s addicting, and I love it.”

Continue Reading

Trending